Beer Judge Exam Updated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markm2151

Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know, the beer judge certification program is updating its examination program.

Phase 1: Online, 200 questions (multiple choice, matching, multiple answer), 60 mins
Phase 2: 6 tastings, 90 mins, 15 min intervals

Phase 1 and 2 are now weighted 50% each. The test is pass/fail and will result in Certified, Recognized, or Appretentice level judges.

To become National or Master there is phase 3: 6 questions, 90 mins, 1 about the BJCP, 3 about style, and 2 about beer ingredients. Before you can sit for phase three you must have at least 10 expirence points.

Thoughts?

When does this change happen and is the online portion still administered at the same site as the tasting?

As some of you may or may not know, the beer judge certification program is updating its examination program.

Phase 1: Online, 200 questions (multiple choice, matching, multiple answer), 60 mins
Phase 2: 6 tastings, 90 mins, 15 min intervals

Phase 1 and 2 are now weighted 50% each. The test is pass/fail and will result in Certified, Recognized, or Appretentice level judges.

To become National or Master there is phase 3: 6 questions, 90 mins, 1 about the BJCP, 3 about style, and 2 about beer ingredients. Before you can sit for phase three you must have at least 10 expirence points.

Thoughts?

I really like the 2 phase system since I am studying for this test in my spare time. I do however think that only 10 exp points seems on the low side for someone with a "Master" title/level.

You must have at least 40 experience points, 20 of which must be judging points to attain the Master level. 10 points is what you must have to sit for the written exam.

In theory I am a beta tester for the new online exam. They were lined up to start doing the beta a month and a half ago, then all of a sudden they said they were delaying the beta test, and have since said they are releasing the actual exam in April.

I just took the written exam at the end of January, so I am interested to see the online version and get an idea of how it compares.

I do like the fact that tasting is a much bigger portion of the exam now, and that you have to taste 6 beers instead of 3.

They are not essay questions anymore. They are multiple choice/matching/multiple answer.

The BJCP exam has always been challenging, time-wise.

So as an update to this, I took the pilot exam and it's quite different from the essay version. You still have to know all the same stuff, of course, but being able to check some answers while you are taking the test makes a huge difference in my opinion. The time factor is still critical...you can't spend your time looking up answers...but compared to the essay questions I found it a lot easier to finish the exam in a timely manner. I practiced writing answers for the essay exam for weeks in advance in an effort to balance the amount of time available with the length and depth of each answer. With the online version, you don't have to worry about that at all. All the answers are provided for you; you just have to pick the correct one(s).

Of course if you want to get National/Master level certification, you will still need to take the essay exam (I think), but I am glad they did something like this. I think it will really help remove the bottlenecks in the exam process.

Latest posts

Back