Beer in the morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't drink in the morning. Just enjoy a cup of coffee. Although a stout sounds good with a big breakfast, especially a campfire one. I don't even drink when brewing until after cleanup. Personal preference.

So as I'm brewing up a 5 gallon all grain classic American Pilsner. My wife walks in as I'm cracking open homebrew. She said " God, drinking beer at 10am, you've got a problem". I figure, brewing beer = drinking beer. Any one else get this from the wife?

I'm just glad she didn't notice the beer I was drinking at 9. Hhahaa

Never get that from the wife. Must be a Canadian thing. :D

That's the definition of a problem at my house. If you need to hide it, you shouldn't be doing it. We decided that a long time ago.

Now, as far as undercover secret public drinking goes, that's a whole different story.

Haha, good point!

I went fishing on Lake Ontario a few weeks back.

Boat left the dock at 6:30. Beers were being consumed by all at 7:00.

Seemed perfectly normal to me. :D

How was the fishing? I'm a Toronto boy and never fished Lake Ontario.

If we are camping, I'll have tons of pre-lunch beers. We go kayaking and camping and cook all out food in the fire pit.

Wake up 7:30A, go take a wizz. Breath some oxygen onto the hot coals and get the fire back up and blazing. Crack first Old Chub (8.1% breakfast). By noon I'll have had 2 more beers. You are supposed to increase your calorie intake when you are out in the wild... right? 7,000 calories of beer keeps the starvation away.

Noon game at local bar we like for Packer's Games. Pitcher of beer at 11:30 followed with a bloody mary and several other drinks.

Granted, all of this, I don't drink regularly during the week, traveling/camping and Packer games are when I go berserk.

I will add that, on the day of that tailgate last weekend, I was in bed and sound asleep at about 6:30 pm. Early start makes for an early end.

And on the Lambeau days when I'm not driving, I usually doze off before we even hit I-43 and wake up when we get back to Milwaukee.

College football - WVU game - might have to start at 8 or so...

Morning brew days I usually start coffee + Baileys and then move to beers.

College football - WVU game - might have to start at 8 or so...

Morning brew days I usually start coffee + Baileys and then move to beers.

Been to MoTown for several football games. WVU fans start way earlier, ha ha.

So as I'm brewing up a 5 gallon all grain classic American Pilsner. My wife walks in as I'm cracking open homebrew. She said " God, drinking beer at 10am, you've got a problem". I figure, brewing beer = drinking beer. Any one else get this from the wife?

I'm just glad she didn't notice the beer I was drinking at 9. Hhahaa

If you're to the boil at 10am I wouldn't say you had a problem I'd say you had a plan. For me 10am is too early to drink beer if I'm brewing. Most football games start later on the West Coast so it's usually lunch time. Camping I'll pour some boozy creamer in the coffee occasionally since I don't like cream. Maybe I should do whiskey camping.

When I brew I try and start around 6 am and I drink coffee. By the time I'm done brewing it's around lunch time and I don't have any problem drinking beer. MY wife doesn't say anything about how often or how much I drink since I'm able to stop for a month at a time when I want and I have many times.

Doesn't matter what time I'm brewing I'm always drinking a homebrew while doing it. I call it 'inspiration'.

I don't consider drinking all the time a problem as long as I'm not drunk all the time. I'll have 3 or 4 beers each day, but those could be any time, dispersed throughout the day or clustered all at once. Sometimes this means drinks out with friends and getting a little wild after work. Sometimes that means pre-work shower beer, coming home at lunch and having a beer, and having one with dinner. Don't need to be at work early? Well, that means I can have a coffee chocolate stout with a big breakfast. Or a hoppy saison after a hot morning out cycling. Camping means morning DIPA. Overall, morning beer isn't very common but there are a lot of different times that morning beer is awesome.

No wife here, but I don't really ever drink before noon. On weekends, I'm usually in bed until 9:30 or 10...sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but I don't usually feel like drinking beer until later. Sometimes on Saturdays I'll have one around noon. But I feel if I drink too early, I want to either keep going or it makes me too tired and ruins my ambition for the day.

Yep I am the same way if I start early I better have an afternoon nap planned. Now with kids the 7 am tee time and 6 pack before noon are the days in the past. Oh did I enjoy those days (naps whenever I wanted anyway).

I don't consider drinking all the time a problem as long as I'm not drunk all the time. I'll have 3 or 4 beers each day, but those could be any time, dispersed throughout the day or clustered all at once. Sometimes this means drinks out with friends and getting a little wild after work. Sometimes that means pre-work shower beer, coming home at lunch and having a beer, and having one with dinner. Don't need to be at work early? Well, that means I can have a coffee chocolate stout with a big breakfast. Or a hoppy saison after a hot morning out cycling. Camping means morning DIPA. Overall, morning beer isn't very common but there are a lot of different times that morning beer is awesome.

If you want to save yourself some time. Enjoy the beer while taking the shower. Extend the shower by 10 minutes, set a little table outside the shower and put your beer on it, between lathering and rinsing, sip some of the beer. Trust me, a berlinner weisse with a really hot shower is amazing.

Or if you are like me and you are 30 year old man that enjoys an insanely hot epsom salt bath, have a beer while in the bath. Again, seriously more awesome than you think possible.

I LOVE shower beers! My wife thought I was a bit crazy the first time I brought a beer into the shower... But now she'll bring me a beer on occasion when I'm in the shower!

I almost never drink in the mornings though. I just have no desire to drink until at least early afternoon at the earliest. One notable exception was when I was in Prague last month my wife and I stopped for breakfast at about 7:30 am after our morning run, and one of the menu items was "traditional Prague breakfast," which included a beer. I seriously couldn't even finish it.

Back