beer in the bubbler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
Well, my bubbler wasn't bubbling so I gave my primary fermenter a good shake. It started bubbling, but a bunch of beer went through the bubbler and I'm worried about sanitation (since before, it was sanitized/sterile water). I've poured some sanitation solution into the bubbler, and since it didn't actually come off I'm wonder whether I should take it off and fill it back with only sanitized solution or...

Oh damn, my friend just shook it and even more stuff came out!

05290623102wh.jpg

What should I do??

Well if your beer is sanitized and your water was sanitized....why not just leave it in there? Cant see how that would be a problem...though im a newbie also.

It is bubbling at the rate of 7 to 9 per minute, it has been 45 hours since it was put in the primary. Does this sound right, or is something wrong?

pariah said:
It is bubbling at the rate of 7 to 9 per minute, it has been 45 hours since it was put in the primary. Does this sound right, or is something wrong?

sounds like you didnt use a starter...It will be ok, thats relatively normal. All yeast behave differently to some extent, there are no hard and fast rules that THEY follow. As for the beer in the bubbler, i say if you have another one clean and sanitize that and replace it. If not just take it off, quickly clean and sanitize it and replace it. Whatever you do STOP SHAKING the FERMENTER! the beer is doing fine now, just leave it and fow gedda bowd it (for 5 days or so)

It would be a good idea to get the beer out of the airlock by swapping airlocks (or cleaning that one). Now that there is beer in the airlock there is a growth medium (wort) exposed to open air (where bad things live)-- which means fuzzies growing in your airlock is now a very real probability. Once you have fuzzies growing in the airlock on one side you have a contamination source.

If you are concerned about infection while the airlock is off put some aluminum foil or plastic wrap over the bung while you clean the airlock.

Take the airlock off and clean it. I just use straight boiled water in my airlocks. Then relax & if this is your first batch, have a store-bought.

Don't sweat it - my "boom boom" clone overflowed the airlock 3 times in as many days before I wised up and put on a blowoff hose. Just keep a clean spare airlock and some sanitizing solution handy for quick swaps.

Back