Beer has a metal like after taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
I am blaming the metal taste on the fact that I only bottled this stuff a week ago but I couldnt resist!!! I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this same trait in their beer. And also if it went away after conditioning.

You need to look at any metal that is coming in contact with your beer. It could be your brewpot if you cleaned it with an abrasive cleaner and didn't boil water in it before brewing again.

Also, are you having this problem with every batch, or just this one? If it's every batch, it could be your water. Is this a new style for you? Maybe a lighter beer that shows more off-flavors easier?

It could be any number of things. My first bottle of Amber Ale had a metallic taste to the start, but nothing in the finish. The rest of the bottles - thus far - have not had any off flavors. Leave it alone for a couple more weeks and let the bottles condition and then taste again...it'll probably be great in the end.

My brew pot was brand new. I cleaned it with a new sponge with soap. Then i boiled 3 different batches of 3 gallons of water to see how fast i could get it to boil. THEN i boiled my water for my beer. Im using bottled water for now on. I used tap water for the boil, and then bottled for the top off/cool down when i transferred into the fermenter. Its my first batch so Ill have to see what happens with my next batch. but thats after I let this batch sit for a week or two longer...or 4 ha

Again, there are many factors that can cause some metallic taste - not just the brew pot, utensils, or the water used. I think you should let it sit at least another two weeks before trying again, and perhaps longer. Being patient is difficult, I'll readily admit that because I have problems with this myself, but it'll pay dividends in the end...

haha ill crack one every week
i only have 8 12 ounce bottles tho. the rest are 22s so i really want to enjoy it if im drinking all 22 ounces. if i run out of 12 ounce bottles and it isnt ready then ill put the rest away for 3 months and ill run a new batch! thanks for your help

I consistently had a metallic taste to my homebrews that didn't fade over time, until I switched from tap water to bottled water. I have not had an issue since then. My tap water runs through a water softener, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it was most likely something in the water.

I consistently had a metallic taste to my homebrews that didn't fade over time, until I switched from tap water to bottled water. I have not had an issue since then. My tap water runs through a water softener, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it was most likely something in the water.

Yea, I used to have the same problem before I moved. Basically, if your tap water tastes "funny" it will carry over to your beer.

4 year old extract in a can tastes like metallic soy sauce.

This ends this round of Homebrew Jeopardy. Todays question was "What is 4 year old extract in a can"

Forrest

A high possibility is the glass out of which you are drinking. A lot of times you can have detergent/hard water residue on your glass. That can cause a metal like taste in your brew.

well my water does have a similar after taste. I use mainly bottled but for my sanitizing i use my well water. For now on im going to use all bottled and see what kind of results i get. Ill also use extract that isnt 35 years old... thanks

Extract is perishable. I highly recommend that you refrain from consuming anything that is 4 years old or older. Would you knowingly eat some food that is 4 years old? Something that has been kept at room temp or warmer...

Forrest

Extract is perishable. I highly recommend that you refrain from consuming anything that is 4 years old or older. Would you knowingly eat some food that is 4 years old? Something that has been kept at room temp or warmer...

Forrest

Only if it was a Twinkie! Oh wait, Zombieland taught me that Twinkies DO have an expiration date.

Someday soon, life's little Twinkie gauge is going to read.... "Empty"

there a spring where i can get water real cheap near my house. I'll use that next time n see what i come up w thanks. also my extract was fresh. 4 yrs old yuk...

Back