beer funeral

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffski123

Reaction score
So i was in the process of brewing my 4th brew and Murphy decided to step in. I was brewing the Irish Stout from true brew and all was well. I was transferring the wort to the primary and noticed a strong gasoline smell. At first thought noting of it until i noticed a bright red bead looking thing in the bottom of the brew kettle, which led me to look at my thermometer which the bulb had broke while i was chilling my wort. The thermometer fell into the wort which is the only possible time it could of broke. Needless to say i had to dump a whole 5 gallon batch of wort down the kitchen sink. FML....... With all that said i now have this question. The yeast i had getting ready, which was muttons dry yeast that had been re hydrating, i poured it into my current batch which is in the secondary att. Was this a bad idea or should i be good. I did this in a fit of rage. I have never had to pour 5 gallons of beer down the drain before. Any input is appreciated. Thanks....:confused::confused:

Huh? You dumped beer because the thermometer broke? They use ethyl alcohol in thermometers, along with red dye. You can drink that stuff. Glass will settle to the bottom with the hops. Your addition of yeast won't do anything.

Dos Equis recall ring a bell , I would not try , I do not like shards of glass in my throat
Just my opinion , But maybe ide take A little glass of the top :D

you did the right thing dumping. i'd never drink/serve beer that I knew was contaminated with broken glass and whatever else was in the thermometer. That being said, go buy a digital probe thermometer, you can get one at walmart for less than 20 dollars. Stick it in, take a reading, pull it out. No glass to break. like this: http://tinyurl.com/7kmdxhn

Adding the yeast to the secondary wont do anything except maybe make it clear slower, just because you added new things to the carboy that now have to settle out.

Totally aware that the alcohol in the thermometer would not kill me or the folks drinking my brew. The glass was what i was more concerned with. The main reason for this post was for the extra yeast added to my secondary on my other brew.

it really shouldnt hurt anything. how many days till you bottle?? i add yeast to my beers but they usally have been lagering for a couple months.

Back