beer clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niilo

Reaction score
is there a product or method to use to clarify beer after the boil? I see Irish Moss is good but im looking for something to add while its in the secondary. I have read gelatin will work, but didnt see anything about when and how much. Also how long does it take to clarify after the addition? I'm aiming for bottling this sunday. Probably not enough time. But still looking for use in future brews.

i use gelatin.

I use 1 packet of Knox gelatin dissolved in 1 cup of water.

If you rack the beer onto the gelatin and cold crash, the beer might be clear for you by Sunday.

Here's a few ideas I've used with certain batches (though not all at once):

-Use a fine mesh strainer over your primary before dumping the brew into it (also helps oxidize the wort so the yeasties won't be overly shocked)

-Whirlpool in your kettle prior to dumping & leave out as much cold break as possible

-Skim off as much of the hot & cold break as possible before & post boil

-You already mentioned Irish moss, but I've found Whirlfloc actually clarifies better than moss. Just my experience.

Back