Beer Bottles in the refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all

Well I need to start thinking about were to put all my beer when I get done bottling. I am thinking about getting a min refrigerator just for my beer that is all bottled and done. Here is my question do I need to store the beer bottles up right in the refrigerator or can I lie them on there side?

Thanks Roger

You want to store them upright so the yeast can settle out.
You don't want to refridgerate them till they carb up , a couple of weeks @ around 70f should do it, then chill and enjoy.

You want to store them upright so the yeast can settle out.
You don't want to refridgerate them till they carb up , a couple of weeks @ around 70f should do it, then chill and enjoy.

Yes I was going to store at room temp for about 3 weaks then move them to the refridgerater. So you are saying even after I carb for about 3 weaks at room temp I still need to put them in the refridgerater up right?

Roger

Yes, store them upright in the fridge. If you lay them down, you'll have a stripe of yeast down the side of the bottle instead of setting at the bottom.

I have my bottles stored upright at room temperature until just a couple days before drinking. I haven't noticed any degradation of flavor in 4 months and I can afford to store lots more bottles than if I had to refrigerate them all. Some of the varieties of beer need lots of time at room temperature for the flavors to mature.

I have my bottles stored upright at room temperature until just a couple days before drinking. I haven't noticed any degradation of flavor in 4 months and I can afford to store lots more bottles than if I had to refrigerate them all. Some of the varieties of beer need lots of time at room temperature for the flavors to mature.

Ok great. Thanks to all for this info. I think I will store most of them up right at room temp then put in the refridgerater about 2 days be for drinking.

Roger

I have one more question in this category. If a bottle got shaken up after being in the refrigerator will the bottle if left up right for about 2 days settle back down?

Roger

So not to hijack this thread but I was having an odd recurring problem with storing my bottled beer in the refrigerator.
I have made 5 brews now, 2 were extract, 2 were partial mash, and 1 was all grain all of different styles, and with all of them I am getting the same odd quality degradation when i refrigerate them. Typically I prime and carb in the bottles and let them sit at room temp for anywhere from 10-60 days on average. If then i were to take a beer and place it in the refrigerator it tends to develop, as best as i can describe to be, a metallic off flavor. This only seems to happen when i leave the bottle in the fridge for more than 2 days. If I just put it in there for a few hours to cool it down and drink it right away the beer is fine. This is very concerning because while i'd love to build a kegerator, I am concerned that my beer would not develop well in the cool environment for what ever reason this is. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be off? I have searched a bit and have not found much on this.

Back