Beer as fertilizer or compost addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
I'm a home brewer as well as a gardener. My spent beer grains already go into my compost (or to my chickens). I have a recent batch that I over carbonated and need to dump. I haven't planted my garden beds yet and am wondering if this is something I should add in? Or just dump into the compost?

Thanks!

Don't add directly to plants, ethanol is toxic to them.

That said, maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough, but dumping due to overcarbonation doesn't make any sense to me.

If in bottles, the batch can be saved.

1. Place a nickel or quarter over the top of the cap to protect it from plastic deformation.
2. Place the bottle opener so that the point of leverage is on the coin.
3. Use the bottle opener to gently crack the crown seal and allow some pressure to escape. Keep an eye on the liquid level inside the beer bottle and don't let it reach the cap if it foams.
4. When you let the force off the bottle opener, the cap should re-seal and stop any foaming from getting out.
5. Use a bottle capper to reseal the existing cap.
6. This process will kick up the yeast sediment. Allow at least two weeks for everything to resettle at the bottom of the bottle before testing.

I have saved a batch of over-carbonated dubbel using this method. Nine months later, the beer is still great.

I would take precaution if it is over-carbed to the point where you fear bottle bombs. Wear long, thick sleeves, a face shield (or at least safety goggles). Use a plastic bin to contain the bottle as best you can. Serious injury can occur.

If in bottles, the batch can be saved.

1. Place a nickel or quarter over the top of the cap to protect it from plastic deformation.
2. Place the bottle opener so that the point of leverage is on the coin.
3. Use the bottle opener to gently crack the crown seal and allow some pressure to escape. Keep an eye on the liquid level inside the beer bottle and don't let it reach the cap if it foams.
4. When you let the force off the bottle opener, the cap should re-seal and stop any foaming from getting out.
5. Use a bottle capper to reseal the existing cap.
6. This process will kick up the yeast sediment. Allow at least two weeks for everything to resettle at the bottom of the bottle before testing.

I have saved a batch of over-carbonated dubbel using this method. Nine months later, the beer is still great.

I would take precaution if it is over-carbed to the point where you fear bottle bombs. Wear long, thick sleeves, a face shield (or at least safety goggles). Use a plastic bin to contain the bottle as best you can. Serious injury can occur.

I have just fixed an over carbed porter by multiple releases of CO2 pressure. Line up a dozen well chilled bottles. Lift the edge of the cap to until there is a pressure release. Most caps will reseal when force on the opener is released. Work down the line and then start over with the first bottled. I let a little foam ooze out if it does not completely reseal. (If CO2 is coming out air won't be going in. I think.) I chill the bottles after the sound of the escaping CO2 is not very noticeable. Check a couple of bottles in a few days for the level of CO2 that had come out of solution. Took about two release sessions to get the carbonation down to porter style level.

Excellent advice I usually make a mess everywhere, (really impresses the Mrs.) and drink foamy beer.

I'm a home brewer as well as a gardener. My spent beer grains already go into my compost (or to my chickens). I have a recent batch that I over carbonated and need to dump. I haven't planted my garden beds yet and am wondering if this is something I should add in? Or just dump into the compost?

Thanks!

I throw all my spent grains, my used hop flowers and my trub into the garden area. It's all part of the mix

Back