Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my Taurus guns in this pic... all of em' are great except the PT22 (the little one on the bottom right), the other one that looks similar is a pt25 centerfire, much better shooter)

IMG_0902.jpg

The rest of the arsenal....

IMG_0148.jpg

My ruger 10/22 from the pic above has morphed into this...

IMG_0861.jpg

And beer....
IMG_1074.jpg

I've also been considering getting something for home protection lately. Thinking either a Stoeger coach gun or a Remmington 11-87 law enforcement 18" 12g. Depends on what I want to spend.

Not a whole lot of folks do reloading anymore. My grandfather did, I may still get my old man to teach me.

I'm another reloader, been doing it since the early 80's. Like somebody said, it isn't necessarily cheaper for some rounds but just like homebrew, it's the satisfaction of knowing what you put together. So whether it's drinking a good homebrew or dropping meat for the freezer, if I made it, I'm a happy son of a gun!

I huneted deer with a .45acp loaded to +p I had a 255gr hardcastLSWC up over 900 fps. Took 3 deer in 1 week with that puppy on a mountain bike. It was a colt that was comped and had a fastfire and magwell. Too everything of and shot idpa production class. I cried when I had to sell it to pay the bills

How did you get the deer back on the bike?? I can almost see it now, having it ride on the front forks. :drunk:

BTW, in IPSC (when I was shooting that) I'm pretty sure having a comp on the barrel put you into 'open' class. Most people also put sighting aids on their guns at that point, in order to be more competitive with the rest in that class.

I'm another reloader, been doing it since the early 80's. Like somebody said, it isn't necessarily cheaper for some rounds but just like homebrew, it's the satisfaction of knowing what you put together. So whether it's drinking a good homebrew or dropping meat for the freezer, if I made it, I'm a happy son of a gun!

Yeah, I remember going out to the garage to see my grandfather reloading. He was always in such a great mood. I think I'll get everything set up in the garage. Be just like brewing, head out there on a Sunday with the dog and listen to the Giants(SF) game while spending a couple hours.:mug:

Well then get crackin there Bubba... :D

I was checking out some 5.56 rifles today (AR15/M4 style)... I want one, but am not ready to spend the cabbage to get it.

Do you research before you by an AR rifle, not all are equal.

The AR15 or M4 Carbine forums have good info on this. You don't have to buy a top of the line one, but stay away from the trash.

Best: Noveske, Colt, LMT, Larua.
Good: Smith & Wesson, Rock River, Bravo Company, etc

Thanks,
Chris

ps. And yea, I have a fair mount of old and new "black" rifles along with some new pistols and old smoke wagon types =)

Reloading was cheeper, but not so much anymore. I just went out to buy a pound of H1000 and it was $30, my old can still has the sticker $14.99. The rounds are for deer hunting. WI Deer gun starts next week!!! I love eating deer!!! I am made a "Whitetail Ale" for deer camp.

My AR and .17HMR at the the range. My two carry options after a cleaning.

image-1964116298.jpg

Attachments

• image-823022369.jpg
    image-823022369.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 391
FastAndy said:
My AR and .17HMR at the the range. My two carry options after a cleaning.

I looked at your first picture and was thinking that looked an awful lot like the scenery around where I live and then noticed you're from Vegas. I live in Henderson. Is that the range at the top of Decatur? I've been wanting to go out there but it's a long haul from where I live. I'm basically on the opposite end of the valley. I typically go out to the boulder city range, it's only about a 15 minute drive from my house.

Do you research before you by an AR rifle, not all are equal.

The AR15 or M4 Carbine forums have good info on this. You don't have to buy a top of the line one, but stay away from the trash.

Best: Noveske, Colt, LMT, Larua.
Good: Smith & Wesson, Rock River, Bravo Company, etc

Thanks,
Chris

ps. And yea, I have a fair mount of old and new "black" rifles along with some new pistols and old smoke wagon types =)

I've been looking at a few AR's, because eventually I'll be getting one. S&W MP15 sport, its extremely affordable, for an AR, and they have great reviews.
THe Windham Weaponry (They used to be Bushmaster, same ppl, same factory before... one of the big dogs bought them out) those looks like pretty good AR's.
I also was checking out the M400 Sig enhanced, looked great and already had the red dot optic on it. Not sure if it comes with it, but I'd def get a red dot eventually, after I get used to the iron sights.

I think I'll go with the SW MP15 sport just because it sounsd like a great deal, and not looking to get a super good AR like a colt.

Other guns next on my list:
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500
Full Size .45- Still looking, and need to shoot some.
Sig 938 - My friend just bought one and its awesome, perfect for pocket carry.

I am joining a range in the town over from me, Dec 1st, and can't wait!

One of the reasons I got the P14-45 was due to the ramped barrel coming stock. Plus it's a double stack 45. :rockin: When competition shooting, I'd rather have more in the mag than less. Less reloads, less mags to pick up, better times, etc. I can comfortably fit 15 in the magazine with the pads on them. Technically, they should hold 16, but I like the way they feed better with just 15 in there. Still, that's a lot of 45 ACP to have available. With the carry rig I have, I can have two more mag's on me. So, three 15 round magazines plus one in the tube... 46 .45 cal rounds. If I ever need to use it, the cops should be there long before I run dry. If not, then it's because the sh*t has really hit the fan. :eek:

bwirthlin said:
I looked at your first picture and was thinking that looked an awful lot like the scenery around where I live and then noticed you're from Vegas. I live in Henderson. Is that the range at the top of Decatur? I've been wanting to go out there but it's a long haul from where I live. I'm basically on the opposite end of the valley. I typically go out to the boulder city range, it's only about a 15 minute drive from my house.

Yep, that's the shooting park on north Decatur. I live in the NW so it only a few minutes from me. Honestly i don't think think you'd be too impressed with it after driving across the valley.

FastAndy said:
Yep, that's the shooting park on north Decatur. I live in the NW so it only a few minutes from me. Honestly i don't think think you'd be too impressed with it after driving across the valley.

Yeah I'll probably just stick to my side of town. I used to work at a bike shop out there on tenaya and azure, pretty close to the range. I thought about bringing my guns and checking it out one day after work but just never did. The boulder range is ok, kinda pricey. There's a dedicated shooting spot out in the desert on the way to lake Mohave that's not too much further than the boulder range and it's free. Plus you can drink beer when you're out in the desert!

sweed said:
I've been looking at a few AR's, because eventually I'll be getting one. S&W MP15 sport, its extremely affordable, for an AR, and they have great reviews.
THe Windham Weaponry (They used to be Bushmaster, same ppl, same factory before... one of the big dogs bought them out) those looks like pretty good AR's.
I also was checking out the M400 Sig enhanced, looked great and already had the red dot optic on it. Not sure if it comes with it, but I'd def get a red dot eventually, after I get used to the iron sights.

I think I'll go with the SW MP15 sport just because it sounsd like a great deal, and not looking to get a super good AR like a colt.

Other guns next on my list:
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500
Full Size .45- Still looking, and need to shoot some.
Sig 938 - My friend just bought one and its awesome, perfect for pocket carry.

I am joining a range in the town over from me, Dec 1st, and can't wait!

My AR is a Bushmaster. It's awesome, I haven't done any modifications too it aside from the guy I got it from added a 20" heavy barrel. It's reliable and accurate I couldn't be happier with it. I've also got a Ruger 10-22 that thing is awesome. It's so much fun to shoot. I've got a bull barrel and a scope on it but haven't done any modifications to the internals.

image-511882197.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

My 2 Colts are my pride and joy, one is a Peacekeeper .357 Magnum and the other is a 1911 Commander 70 Series

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

I have a lot more loaned to my dad right now, and many I did not take pics of, mainly my long range rifles and some shotguns and .22s. I used to reload ammo A LOT, but now only on occasion.

Current stash:

Remington 870 20G
Chinese SKS w/tapco stock, 20 round mag
Mossberg bolt action 22 (226 I believe)
H&R Pardner single shot 12G
SW40VE
and I'm half way through my AR build, just need the lower parts kit and stock

Next purchases:
270 (for deer hunting)
Taurus Judge (for funzies)
9MM

Ive had rifles for yrs but just got my carry permit earlier this year. Here's my Taurus PT809 SS with 17 + 1 and my S&M 38 Sp Airweight +p with Crimsom Trace laser grip. I also have a Rem 700 Synthetic Camo SS in 30-06 with bi-pod and a PSE compound bow for deer hunting. Looking to get a 44 mag and start building a MP15.

image-852030282.jpg

image-2835052082.jpg

Ive had rifles for yrs but just got my carry permit earlier this year. Here's my Taurus PT809 SS with 17 + 1 and my S&M 38 Sp Airweight +p with Crimsom Trace laser grip. I also have a Rem 700 Synthetic Camo SS in 30-06 with bi-pod and a PSE compound bow for deer hunting. Looking to get a 44 mag and start building a MP15.

Does the 38 kick a lot since it is called an "Airweight"?

My new Ar 15 5.56. Got it rigged up with whitetail fusion rounds for hunting. Going to the range today to dial it in. I love this gun.

image-3377670649.jpg

Been hunting since I was 14 years old...so I have a good stock of shotguns and rifles. Just moved to Pennsylvania in 2009.....Right to Carry State .....first thing I did after getting my PA drivers license was get my License to Carry...and bought myself a Glock 19 for carry.

I NEED to get me one of those AR-15's.....that is sweet! :p

Are we talking of drinking beet and shooting guns at the same time here? Cause that is one of my favorite pastimes.

I won't list what I have, only I know.

AR is quickly becoming my favorite gun to shoot. But very few things beat heading out to a field with a cooler of beer, couple friends, shotguns, and a couple boxes of field clays with a thrower.

Golddiggie said:
I might sell some of the guns I inherited from my father to help fund the AR purchase. I know there are some things I'll want right off the bat. I'm not looking to have a ton of spare parts as I change things over to what I want it to be. I know I'll want a match grade barrel in it. I can get the AR with the the forestock as all rails, which will make things easier.

Need to do some more research before I make that purchase.

I am looking to get some gun parts that can be converted into tap handles now. Got some info on a couple of gunsmith's today that might be able to help me out there. I might see about getting a 22 match barrel converted into a handle. It came off the pistol my father had setup for competition shooting. He replaced the barrel with a much better one, so this one's not doing anything (besides holding a pheasant feather).

I'd never sell inherited guns to fund a new AR. Inherited guns can never be replaced and always hold a special spot in my heart. Black Rifles can be built piece by piece. Spread the purchase out over several months. I had an upper for 3 months before I finally got a lower.

I'd never sell inherited guns to fund a new AR. Inherited guns can never be replaced and always hold a special spot in my heart. Black Rifles can be built piece by piece. Spread the purchase out over several months. I had an upper for 3 months before I finally got a lower.

Well, there's the pair of Russian SKS rifles that are prime candidates for selling. I won't sell his 1911 race gun though. Nor the other pistols. His over/under shotgun won't be sold either. There's an ancient 12 gauge shotgun (break open, side by side) that will also never be sold.

BTW, one of the SKS rifles is actually mine (from before) so no biggie there.

I am excited to have my orientation at my new club tomorrow. I can't wait to shoot anytime I want now for free (sans membership dues etc). They have a bunch of outdoor ranges and an indoor range (which you have to qualify for). Currently thinking of going 10/22 or AR for my next purchase... If my ex pays me soon, then def the AR! Stevo's up the looks perfect for what I want to do! Can't wait to shoot tomorrow!

that quite a difference between a 10/22 and an AR... well, would the AR be a .22LR as well, or is it a real AR?

that quite a difference between a 10/22 and an AR... well, would the AR be a .22LR as well, or is it a real AR?

For real? Even though the .22LR is about the same bullet diameter as the AR (5.56mm) it's a completely different round. You can adapt an AR to also fire 22LR, but not the other way around.

Look up both types of rifles and you should see the differences pretty quickly/easily.

I know, one is cheap to shoot the other isn't really. I would get the AR in 5.56/ .223. Thinking a SW M&P 15 sport.

For real? Even though the .22LR is about the same bullet diameter as the AR (5.56mm) it's a completely different round. You can adapt an AR to also fire 22LR, but not the other way around.

Look up both types of rifles and you should see the differences pretty quickly/easily.

i'm in the military and quite familiar with the AR-15 platform. there is a huge difference between the rounds. maybe not in size, but in grain load and in design.

here is an image that clearly illustrates the differences between the rounds.

22_penny_223-tfb.jpg

oh snap... i guess i should stop drinking before i post. lol... my bad Golddiggie, we were saying the same thing.

what i meant in my first post is that while making his decision he was deciding between a bike and a ferrari. that's what i meant to say.

oh snap... i guess i should stop drinking before i post. lol... my bad Golddiggie, we were saying the same thing.

what i meant in my first post is that while making his decision he was deciding between a bike and a ferrari. that's what i meant to say.

Don't stop drinking, just make sure you're not totally F'd up when you're posting. :D

BTW, I've shot both 22LR and .223/5.56mm. Not even in the same world. You barely notice the 22LR, where you do notice/feel the .223...

Need to check the laws about going to a range in MA since I'm living in NH now, where you don't need a license to own firearms. You only need a license to carry concealed. You can actually, legally, carry in the open if you want. :rockin: LOVE this state (compared with MA, it's a world apart). :D

i'm trying to get my CCW right now. LA county won't allow it but i'm going to go to Orange County to get it. I personally prefer the 7.62 to the 5.56, at close range it's got much more umph. i guess it suffers in accuracy slightly though...

i'm trying to get my CCW right now. LA county won't allow it but i'm going to go to Orange County to get it. I personally prefer the 7.62 to the 5.56, at close range it's got much more umph. i guess it suffers in accuracy slightly though...

At close range I'll just use my 45 cal... :D

Massachusetts -
All I wanna do is get a Ruger 10/22 for plinking
$100 safety class
$100 license for any long gun, rifled or not, good for only 6 years
If you want a hand gun, it is another license on top of the first, more money, fingerprinting, an a letter of recommendation from St. Peter.

somehow, neighboring VT has none of these rules and a lower shooting rate.

Screw it. I'm gonna stick to brewing. And making fuel alcohol, which is legal if you have a permit.

Protection from dogs while riding bicycles - i ride a recumbent bike. My face is eye level with a Labrador. I want to stop an aggressing dog without killing it or the owner. MA only allow weak, ineffective sprays or lethal force.

MA says full-strength pepper spray is a 4th degree felony. ANY non-lethal zap stick is illegal, even for police. But I can legally carry a pistol, round ball only, NOT shot shells, kill the dog, and have the ricochet fly into the yard. How truly good.

I have several dogs. Occasionally there has been a full-on furball. Half strength pepper spray and full strength citronella they totally ignore.

Back