Beer # 2 and 3, recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
Ok.. my n00b's scorched red ale is in the bottles, with two and a half weeks to go before I pop one to sample the goodness. The carboys are being soaked, and will be cleaned this week. (we have four). My brewing partner and I differ a bit on what we prefer to drink. He likes lighter colored beers, and I like the dark 'chewy' stuff. So.. seeing as we have the carboys for it, I think our next step is to make two at once.

Not sure what to make for him, he's a heiniken drinker, so can someone suggest something along those lines?

And for me, seeing as winter is coming, perhaps a high ABV% Oatmeal Stout, and don't put it in secondary at all, just bottle from the primary after a month or so.

Recipe suggestions?

Well, unless you're set up for lagering, why not just make a simple pale ale or maybe an ordinary bitter? You could use some noble hops and add a little skunk spray if you want. j/k

For beer #3 I would try to remake beer #1 and see if you get the same results !

I did and #3 was far better !

just a thought, for #2 try to brew a clone of one of your favorite brews

Maybe so, for #2, but my heart is really set on a high ABV oatmeal stout to keep me warm through the winter. Last year we had a long winter, it started Sunday and lasted almost the entire week, so i want to be ready.

Any recommendation for a recipe or procedure there ?

Not sure what to make for him, he's a heiniken drinker, so can someone suggest something along those lines?

I would pee in the toilet and then rack it to primary, let it sit for 5 weeks and transfer to secondary. No but seriously, do what Grizzlybrew suggested. Open your friends mind up to some of the lighter more delicate (and sophisticated) ales.

I always like to go search the brew supply websites to find what I want to brew next. They have a great selection, and looking is always free (at least in brewing).

As for the lighter beer... aim for a brown ale and slowly convert your buddy to the dark side.

Back