Been a while since I've brewed, double check my recipe/process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagobah

Reaction score
I've brewed mead and a few beers before but am about to do my first cider. It's been a couple years since my last brew, so trying to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

I'm thinking of doing 2 ciders at once. Both will be dry, but I'll be adding raspberries to the second cider. I prefer a dry cider, but am hoping there's still a slight sweetness with this recipe.

Using 1gal glass jugs of organic unfiltered apple juice from Central Market as my primary (and juice). No preservatives.
Bought a 1lb bag of frozen raspberries for the second cider.
EC-1118 Lalvin Wine Yeast (1 packet for each cider)
1tsp yeast nutrient for each cider
1tsp bottling sugar for each cider

Process 1st Cider:

Sanitize
Add 1 packet of yeast to each, add airlock
Wait ~2 weeks or until fermentation has slowed down
Rack to secondary, add 1tsp bottling sugar, mix and bottle
After 2 weeks, cold crash bottles in fridge to make sure they don't pop

Process 2nd Cider (Raspberry):

Same as above, except add frozen strawberries (assuming I don't need to sterilize?) in secondary, then wait ~2 weeks, then add bottling sugar and bottle.

Am I screwing anything up here?

Your standard cider looks/sounds correct but I don't think you really need the yeast nutrient. Then again, I've never used that particular strain of yeast (I usually go with S-04, S-05, or liquid cold) so if it is turning out well for you then keep doing your thing.

Frozen berries: Hmmm, I've used clean fresh fruit and cooked dehydrated fruit but never a frozen berry. To your actual question though, I am of the impression that frozen berries are ready-to-eat and you shouldn't need to do anything to them at all. I suppose you could thaw them first but even that seems unnecessary. Very curious as to how much they affect the flavor and color though, please do update.

A lb of berries in a gallon I cider will give you some nice changes, and ten days is about right. Just toss those frozen berries right I

Back