Beef Jerky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I'm going on a 3-day backpacking trip in a month and have started preparing some food for it. I went out today and bought a box fan and some air filters to make jerky alton-brown style as seen in the videos below. After strapping the filters onto the fan though, it seems like very little air is getting through. Has anyone tried this method and what kind of results did you experience? Also, please share your favorite recipes/techniques for jerky or dehydrated food in general. I cut a flank steak into strips and have it marinating right now in a recipe I threw together loosely based on the korean bbq thread on here a few weeks ago. It contained soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, a big spoonful of garlic and ginger paste, about a teaspoon of sambal oelek, probably two tablespoons of brown sugar and a little dark sesame oil. Smelled and tasted great.

Alton Brown makes beef jerky part 1

part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, not made it with the filter and box fans, I use a dehydrator. I assume you picked up the cheapest filter mediums you could? Cheaper the filter, the thinner the filter medium, the more air flow gets through.

Perhaps taping any gaps between the first filter and the fan frame would help channel air to the filters.

I usually make my jerky with black pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic powder. Trim and cut a rump roast to desired size and marinate for a day or two in the fridge. Comes out great, but doesn't last very long at all. I never make enough in one go. :(

i bought the cheapest ones that came in the right size. they were still 4 bucks each! the tape idea sounds good, ill try that if it seems like i need more flow. i had my parents buy me one of those ronco food dehydraters when i was a kid and all the jerky seemed to come out really dry and tough, although i was probably over drying it. i like the fact that the fan/filter setup dries at room temp, we'll see if that makes a difference.

I buy the Harley-Davidson beef jerky at dollar tree. It is awesome. I have made beef jerky in my food dehydrator, but it made my tomatoes taste funny. I mail ordered a marinade, and it was too strong.

I use the jerky gun to form my jerky made with very lean meat. I also have a dehydrator.

FYI - I dont' think it needs much airflow to be effective. Even the dehydrator relies on the rising air, not the heat so much, to dry the foods.

I used to try to make my own rub/marinade, but I've fallen back to using the seasoning packets that come with the jerky press. They just taste good. I might go back to experimenting at some point.

I'm also going on a 3-day backpacking trip in about 2 weeks, so I need to make a couple of batches. 1 to take, and 1 to leave home for the wife, who eats it all up in one sitting if I let her.

well everything worked out really well. the jerky was dry in about 12 hours. no need to tape around the sides or anything. only problem was that when the jerky dried it began to catch on the fibers of the filter. whenever you want to eat a piece you have to spend a few seconds plucking all the little fuzz off but it's not too bad. I marinated for about 6 hours based on alton's recommendation, i think next time i'll go for about 12. and up the spiciness as well. I'm not sure my sambal oelek is as spicy as it should be.

*bump*

How about using flank steak and marinading it in vinegar, soy sauce and some herbs and spices and then popping it in the oven at 120 to 140 degrees overnight. Would that work well?

*bump*

How about using flank steak and marinading it in vinegar, soy sauce and some herbs and spices and then popping it in the oven at 120 to 140 degrees overnight. Would that work well?

I dont know about anyone else but my over will not go nearly that low.

Really? My oven will go all the way down to 50°C (122°F)... Would that be sufficient?

Here is my setup that I was able to make 9 lbs of jerky in Friday.

dcp_0721.jpg

I smoke over pecan chunks at 130 degrees until the dryness is to my taste. This batch took 12 hours.

Homebrew + Homemade jerky = A good time if the wife and kids or not home ( the kids just tear the jerky up and I then have to make another batch)

Followed the directions as per Alton with some minor changes.... Added a pinch of cayanne pepper in the marinade (I like hot stuff) and left the meat in the Marinade 9 hours instead of the six. Ran my fan for 15 hours instead of 12 (overnight in the garage). Wow.... came out awesome. Some of the best jerkey I've had in awhile. Even the SWMBO gave it a thumbs up...(and she hates jerky....). Chewy (not tough like most commercial jerky) and flavorful. Glad I found this post....

I used to have a small Jerky Company called Armageddon Jerky.

Sold my stuff mostly online and at Motorcycle Shows.

I made four basic flavors, and would come up with an "experimental" flavor about every three or four months.

Did really well....working out of a small church commissary and my apartment, got to the point where I needed to expand dramatically or give it up. I gave it up. I know, I know, a church commissary and a Jerky Company called Armageddon.......

Dried mine in a commercial dehydrator...at any rate I have scaled down versions of all of my marinades.

O.G. (Original Gangster, this was the first marinade I came up, with hence the name)

Armageddon (my companies namesake, not for the weak at heart, this stuff is made with Red Savina's, up until a couple years ago the Savina was the hottest chile known to man)

China Syndrome (nice and spicy, but no where near as hot as Armageddon)

Teriyaki (one of my best sellers...)

All marinades are soy based, and use liquid smoke. The liquid smoke can be eliminated if you plan on drying the Jerky in a smoker.

I've always had good luck with Excaliber brand dehydrators whether it's one of their commercial grade dehydrators or the smaller home cook versions.

If any one is interested drop me a PM and I will glady send the recipes. I only have hard copies here at home, the soft copies are on my work PC, I won't be back at work until Dec 1st........let me know if anyone would like copies of the marinades?

Latest posts

Back