American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of mine. I made it with vanilla and am serving on nitro. Very tasty, I'm proud to have brewed this one.
13708f16b5204183f43cd8336db63cff_view.jpg

Just brewed a double batch yesterday, came in way high on my gravity, I seem to be chasing gravity issues, as I undershot my last double batch on my new setup. Either way, I know it will be good! I plan to make this a Mexican Chocolate style.

Anyone have feedback on if and how long to age this beer for? I have a party in 1 month and not sure if that will be enough time to enjoy this brew.

Mine keeps getting better with time. It had some slight off tastes when fresh, but that could have been my setup and process. It is one of the best beers I've ever made at this point, but it's also about 6 months old. I have a nice back log of beers so I can afford to spend time when needed.

I made this an extract and added vanilla and coffee and it seems overly thin. All in all its not a bad beer, but I'm wondering somehow if the extract made it thinner. My OG was low too and I ended with less than 5 gal so seems very odd and I'm not sure where in my process I went wrong. Was my first time doing extract in a little over 3 years.

I more or less swapped 6lbs of DME for the 2-Row and kept everything else the same. Brewers friend put it at 1.060 which is 5 points lower than the OP and it finished at 1.008 which is low...

6lbs Light DME
1lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Flaked Barley
.5lb Maltodextrin
.25lb Black Malt
.007lb Black Barley

.75oz Cascade @60min
1oz Northern Brewer @60min

I've made quite a few stouts and porters with vanilla and to be honest I don't take very good notes... with that said, I usually split, scrap and cut into 1" pieces 2 vanilla beans. I soak them in vanilla vodka for a day or two and add them into a secondary. The longer the better for me. The flavors mellow and blend well with time.

Also, taste it and if the flavor isn't strong enough, just add a tablespoon of extract into the keg or bottling bucket.

I've made quite a few stouts and porters with vanilla and to be honest I don't take very good notes... with that said, I usually split, scrap and cut into 1" pieces 2 vanilla beans. I soak them in vanilla vodka for a day or two and add them into a secondary. The longer the better for me. The flavors mellow and blend well with time.

Awesome! Brewing this as my first AG today. Appreciate the info!

I recently made this and decided to use Bavarian lager weayst. OG 1.068 at 2 weeks 1.020. I tasted the sample and am very excited!

Mine keeps getting better with time. It had some slight off tastes when fresh, but that could have been my setup and process. It is one of the best beers I've ever made at this point, but it's also about 6 months old. I have a nice back log of beers so I can afford to spend time when needed.

I'd have to agree. Mine has for sure taken some time to really come together.

Just brewed a double batch yesterday, came in way high on my gravity, I seem to be chasing gravity issues, as I undershot my last double batch on my new setup. Either way, I know it will be good! I plan to make this a Mexican Chocolate style.

So this came in around 8.15% in the end, and I'm really liking it. I added 2oz cocoa powder in secondary with some of a chai spice tincture I made that came out cinnamon heavy. Soaked chipotles in the chai mixture for a week or so before adding to the keg. Ended up adding a little more vodka chipotle tincture to get more heat and it's pretty good right now. Nice layers of smoky chipotle heat, chocolate and a little cinnamon edge.

Going to be making this one for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it.

So I just finished brewing this one up. I had to make a couple last minute substitutions. At some point I must have forgotten to remove inventory from BeerSmith on a prior brew and I ended up a little over 2 lbs short of 2-row. I subbed with Maris Otter, which is a fave and I think it will only help the beer.

I also had a pouch of 1028 that's getting close to six months, so I decided this morning to smack it and sure enough it puffed up so I threw it in along with the Nottingham.

Anyone have issues with head retention on this beer? Assuming it's something about my process... Been in the keg a few weeks at 12 psi, well carbonated (if anything over-carbonated for a porter..), pours fine, nice sized head with the perlick flow controls, but it just basically evaporates within 20 seconds and even swirling the glass doesn't bring it back. Have made sure there's no residual soap or anything in my glasses.... stumped. I want that chunky, rocky foam on this bad boy like the picture in the last post!

Anyone have issues with head retention on this beer? Assuming it's something about my process... Been in the keg a few weeks at 12 psi, well carbonated (if anything over-carbonated for a porter..), pours fine, nice sized head with the perlick flow controls, but it just basically evaporates within 20 seconds and even swirling the glass doesn't bring it back. Have made sure there's no residual soap or anything in my glasses.... stumped. I want that chunky, rocky foam on this bad boy like the picture in the last post!

I've never had head retention issues with it!

Just brewed up 10 gallons of this! Unfortunatley my hydrated yeast fell off of my table and and spilled. Good thing I had 2 extra packets of nottingham. I couldn't hydrate them though... I hope thats not a problem. My hydrometer sample tasted great!

Made this today but added pumpkin and pumpkin spice (Elysian punkuccino clone!)

Just brewed 6g today in the Grainfather per recipe. Per Brewer's Friend recipe builder this appears ~60% brewhouse eff, so I adjusted to my profile (anyone else adjust for eff on this one here?). I have a jar of 1oz oak cubes and 3 oz of Maker's Mark ready to join team fermentation in a week! I figure this will need to age awhile, maybe by Christmas or NYD I will begin to see how it turns out.

Just bought the ingredients for a 2.5-gallon batch of this, converting the 2-row to extract. LHBS didn't have flaked barley in bulk, didn't want to spring for a big bag over 1/4 oz or thereabouts. Looking forward to brewing it out back.

(sticking with 2.5-gallon batches until I get comfortable with the banjo burner)

Giving this recipe a try tomorrow. Not sure if anyone ever answered a few of the previous questions asked about which chocolate malt to use... I searched through this thread for quite a while and couldn't find an answer so I played around with this recipe using Brewtarget software and the numbers seemed to look most like the original poster's when I plugged in Chocolate Malt (US) 350 srm. I am also adjusting my water using the Bru'N Water spreadsheet for a Black Malty profile as a starting point, but ultimately I am just shooting for a mash pH of 5.5 :mug:

Just brewed 6g today in the Grainfather per recipe. Per Brewer's Friend recipe builder this appears ~60% brewhouse eff, so I adjusted to my profile (anyone else adjust for eff on this one here?). I have a jar of 1oz oak cubes and 3 oz of Maker's Mark ready to join team fermentation in a week! I figure this will need to age awhile, maybe by Christmas or NYD I will begin to see how it turns out.

I added oak and bourbon to this before, it's takes a little bit to mellow but when it does it's awesome!

made a batch for christmas that is now aging in the cellar, OG was within the error margin and fg spot on, swapped the cascade for columbus as the brewstore was out....shouldn't effect the taste much i guess.

porter.jpg

I added oak and bourbon to this before, it's takes a little bit to mellow but when it does it's awesome!

I brewed this on Oct 2nd, bottled on 10/22, 1st taste was 11/22 with a follow up tasting this weekend. Hit my gravity readings of 1.065 & 1.016. It tastes very nice, feel it needs a bit more maltiness to it, with ABV at ~6.4% I think there's certainly room to kick it up to say 7.5% or so, and next time I will mash hotter, maybe 156 to boost FG. I think I'd also double up the flaked barley (or even add flaked oats too) to push 10% of grist, but don't wish to change it too much. It really is nice tasting beer, the bourbon is very subdued at 3oz, maybe add a bit more next time, and I will char the cubes next time as I heard that is more similar to a cask. Probably add after 4 days and ferment 3 weeks again. Will look forward to next taste around Christmas, if I can wait that long, I do want another!:)

I have brewed this recipe every year for about 5 years now and it is one of my favorites. Always in the line up right after the annual spiced pumpkin ale. This year I tried a new yeast strain , Omega 006 yeast British 1, and it didn't finish where I thought it would. Stopped at 1.023. None the less it still went off in the primary and the blow off tube is a must. Love this beer but will go back to Nottingham next year. Cheers!

So I was on auto-pilot when I brewed this on Sunday and accidentally pitched a whole pound of maltodextrin instead of 8oz. Oops....has anyone else ever done this? Should I expect to basically be drinking a porter milkshake?

I thought 8 oz of malto dextrine made the beer a little too sweet. I used Omega British ale yeast and it finished at 1.020, so I added 32 oz of cold press coffee to cut the sweetness and it really turned out nice. I found a vanilla flavored cold press coffee at the store made by a company in Austin, TX. It gave the beer another layer of flavor. G2G!

I brewed 10gal of this a couple of months ago. i substituted some of the chocolate malt with chocolate rye and used s-04 yeast. This beer is GREAT!!! I just finished installing a nitro/stout tap so will be brewing this again real soon to try on nitro. Thanks so much to Ed for another great recipe.

Giving this recipe a try tomorrow. Not sure if anyone ever answered a few of the previous questions asked about which chocolate malt to use... I searched through this thread for quite a while and couldn't find an answer so I played around with this recipe using Brewtarget software and the numbers seemed to look most like the original poster's when I plugged in Chocolate Malt (US) 350 srm. I am also adjusting my water using the Bru'N Water spreadsheet for a Black Malty profile as a starting point, but ultimately I am just shooting for a mash pH of 5.5 :mug:

Update: This batch I brewed back on 11-10-16 finally hit it's prime after bottle conditioning for 6 weeks. Dang... wish I would have let them be until today! I only have one bottle left now. Next batch I will leave them alone for 6-8 weeks then start sampling :tank:

I'm going to brew this on Friday. I plan on doing a 90min boil, and adding 4lbs of DME to get me around 9% ABV. I'll rack it on top of a healthy nottingham yeast cake and start the fermentation at 54*F and slowly raise it up. Once it is finished I'll keg and age it for six months or so.

Wish me luck!

Just brewed this yesterday but I switched out the choc malt with choc rye malt. Then I did a cold extraction with all dark grains for 24 hours. I doubled the amounts of dark grains for steeping( 2 lbs choc rye...) cant wait to sample in three weeks!

Back