BCS: Temperature Averaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use or would you use Temperature Averaging on the BCS?

• Yes, I want it.

• No, You are not worthy.

Results are only viewable after voting.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IO use Temperature Averaging on the BCS. Basically it takes to Tempratures and averages then into one so that you can use the average. I have two probes in my Mash Tun and use the Average of the two. I also measure the HERMS In and OUT and use that to control the HERMS Element which works fairly well.

It is not in Ver 4.0 Public Beta but I would like it to be. Unless there is a "need", it will not be put in for just me. Take the POLL and vote!

I'm not sure I really see the need. Seems to me for repeatability and consistency you would want to take the temp reading at a consistent spot each time and work back from there. With averaging, you could be introducing some variability between batches. Your average temp could be the same each batch, but your actual mash temp could be higher or lower than previous batches, but for whatever reason the average works out the same.

For the same reason, wouldn't you be better off with PID control for keeping temps stable when running your HERMS?

I don't have actual data to compare though, so maybe real world usage works out differently.

Do you see a large enough delta between your 2 probes in the mash tun to justify averaging them? I played around with taking a second probe and stabbing it around the mash and everywhere my probe went it was within a degree of the probe mounted in the tun. If you are averaging 2 things that are nearly identical then it's unnecessary. If you are seeing large deltas in you mash temperature based on location of the probe then I think you should try to understand why there is such a large discrepancy and fix it. With my old mash return arm I did notice that most off the water would channel down one side depending on where the end of the arm was located. I switched to a return arm that will evenly distribute the return on top and the temperature differences went away.

If you are seeing large deltas in you mash temperature based on location of the probe then I think you should try to understand why there is such a large discrepancy and fix it.
+1 on that. Not sure if that is the case for Oakbarn, but I meant to put that comment down as well.

A BCS thermometer is just a resistor. you could run two 5k probes in series and calibrate them as one if you want an average.

I'm not sure I really see the need. Seems to me for repeatability and consistency you would want to take the temp reading at a consistent spot each time and work back from there.

I would have to agree with ZymurGuy.

Back