BB's Double IPA as an all-grain recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronis

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to properly convert an extract recipe to all-grain?

Short list (full recipe here):
9.9 lbs Light LME
1 lb corn sugar
0.5 lbs Crystal 40 (speciality grain)
0.25 lbs Carapils (specialty grain)

My attempt at a conversion:
15 lbs Maris Otter (to replace Light LME and corn sugar)
0.5 lbs Crystal 40 (same?)
0.25 lbs Carapils (same?)

In general, you divide the # of LME by 0.75 to get pounds of 2row. Maris otter is more flavorful than 2-row but will absolutely work, it will just give you beer that doesn't quite taste the same. The sugar is a bit tricky, it's intended to dry out the beer. However, an all grain conversion of an extract recipe will almost always attenuate more than its extract counterpart because now you have enzymes from the base malt working on the dextrins in the specialty malts. You could go either way. I'd leave the sugar as sugar, but that would likely give you a much dryer beer; substituting with grain will probably give you something closer in body and sweetness to the BB kit. Do what you think will taste better to you, I don't think anybody's fussed about trying to "clone" a brewers best kit. Of course, you can always play around with mash temp etc.

Understood. Thanks for the info. I think 152ish would be a good place to start for the mash temp.

What are you planning on using for hops?

I haven't had the BB extract kit. Haven't actually done extract for some time now. Interested in hearing how this turns out. I would not generally think of using maris otter as a base grain for an IPA so you have my attention.

As for the sugar, I would think you'd want to keep it in there. It's serving a specific purpose in the kit recipe. Why do you want to take it out?

Also, you could probably up the hops, late mostly. Looks like BB has only hopped this beer to the level of a normal, not super hoppy IPA.

Long story short, this was the last extract kit we did. It was a birthday present from a buddy, along with a Colt 45 (ha-ha).

We decided to doctor the recipe because the hops were weak.. We added brown sugar, an oak chip tea, and three additional hops (citra, amarillo, and something else). The result was impressively tasty, but a little too oaky - should have made a weaker tea.

As for the Maris Otter, I've seen it used in IPA's before (do a forum Google search for Maris Otter IPA) - I've just been favoring it lately. I should probably use 2-row in the first run in order to ensure I actually duplicate the recipe (or see how close I get), and go from there with further adjustments as necessary.

Back