Bazooka screen / boil screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
short of soaking in really hot caustic and a really really good rinse? nope.... protein is usually slightly acidic so the strong alkalinity is great on it, and it tends to dissolve hops pretty good. I just find it a little chemical intensive to do every time I brew.

Thanks for the response...

I thought as much. And with it being in the boil kettle, I am not worried about contamination as much as I am worried about off-flavors. I guess with it being around $10 I can just replace it every year.

If your reading this thread based on a similar issue....

Basically you replace the boil kettle screen* every year like you replace all your hosing/lines if your proactive and on top of your brewing. I have a plate chiller and find that my boil kettle screen filters a lot of trub from getting into my chiller.

I did a group brew with a friend's 15g pot as one of the boil kettles (24 brix barleywine). Even with a low hop beer there was significant trub in the chiller afterwards versus a hoppy beer with my kettle screen. I mean there was a ton of difference and I late hop my IPAs with 8oz per 5 gallons.... and still this Barleywine let a ton of goop in.

I am not advertising MoreBeer, I am just pasting a picture of what I use. I do believe it helps a lot, but is not a complete solve for the plate chiller conundrum**.

*http://morebeer.com/products/kettle-tube-screen.html

**Now that I have this, now that I love this.... can I ever get it truly clean? Do you soak, rinse, boil or bake.... keep searching (I power rinse and bake, fyi)

Back