Bayou Classic with partial boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm thinking of getting a Bayou Classic Banjo cooker - I'm tired of waiting for my stove to get my wort boiling, and everyone seems to like this cooker. Right now, however, I only have a 20 qt. ss kettle that I've been using. Then, when I get the chance, I'll pick up a larger kettle to do full wort boils. But I can't afford both the cooker and the kettle right now, so I wanted to make sure the Banjo cooker won't be too big for my current kettle. Any thoughts?

With a smaller volume of water doing extracts, you will have to be careful when you steep your grains. You may have to shut off your burner completely so that you do not exceed 170° F. This is especially true if it is windy.

It can be done, though. Get a digital themometer.

On the plus side. You will not out grow this burner.

olllllo said:
On the plus side. You will not out grow this burner.
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure that as addictive as this is (I've only done 4 batches), I'll be doing 5 or 10 gallon boils in no time!
Also, I was planning on steeping the grains on my stovetop before moving outside to the cooker. So that wouldn't be an issue.

Back