Bayou Classic Burners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I got the round one (a bit smaller) that comes w/ an aluminum stock pot...will that work well w/ keggles or should I return it and get the square one that is sold separately?

Thanks for everyone's contributions so far-- I dropped my first $300 towards going All Grain yesterday and I am stoked to make my first AG recipe in a couple more weeks :)

or the KAB5...that's the one I have. its actually a bit too much burner for my 9gallon brew pot. but at least i'm ready to convert to a keggle someday :)

I just bought the SQ-14 at HD. On the box it says up to 150,000 BTU but on the website they say 55,000 BTU. I called bayou classic and left a voice mail but no return call as of yet. So what gives?

Home Depot is lying, it's 55k BTU. I used my SQ-14 to bring 13 gallons of wort up to a boil on Sunday. It took probably 30 min, but it got there and maintained the boil for an hour. The SQ-14 is also pretty efficient with propane. I've knocked out 4 all grain batches (two of them were 10gal batches) including heating strike and sparge water and my propane tank still isn't empty (it's gotta be close though).

I just invested in two KAB5 burners and I also have a standard "turkey fryer" burner. I don't have enough experience with the KAB5 as of yet but they are capable of a lot of heat. Basically, any burner will work (as long as it will hold your kettle) as long as you have the time to invest to wait on the temp/boil. I would try what you have and see if it is acceptable to you.

The SQ 14 BTU rating depends on the regulator attached, you can ditch the 5 or 10psi regulator that comes with most setups and get a 20psi regulator to bring the BTU output way up.

The ones they sell at home depot have either the 5 psi regulator (rubber hose) or the 10 psi regulator (metal braided hose) go on their web site and get the 20 PSI behemouth it will work very nicely.

Donasay said:
The SQ 14 BTU rating depends on the regulator attached, you can ditch the 5 or 10psi regulator that comes with most setups and get a 20psi regulator to bring the BTU output way up.

The ones they sell at home depot have either the 5 psi regulator (rubber hose) or the 10 psi regulator (metal braided hose) go on their web site and get the 20 PSI behemouth it will work very nicely.

Yes but upgrading that will result in a higher cost when the SP10 already has the capability at the same price as the SQ14. That's why I was wondering if anyone has used the SP10 and if there is any reason to not get it?

Thanks I have a 20PSI Mr.Heater regulator that I picked up a few years ago. Still in the blister pack.I assume the hose and orifice size should be the same between a 20 and the 10 psi

I purchased both the SP10 from Amazon and the SQ14 from Home Depot at different times. Both came with the 10PSI braided hose so you need to make sure of what you are getting. I've gone up to 9 gallons preboil on both of them and the SQ14 was slightly quicker by a couple of minutes.

Back