Bayou Burners on sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good call Mike. All the burners are on sale, I linked to the sp-10, but the 14 and the KAB's are on sale too

I currently have 2 turkey fryer burners, one works pretty good, the other one blew through a propane tank within a few brews and seems to have a more narrow flame and takes longer to get to a full boil(than the other one that has a wider flame). Unfortunately the one that takes longer and burns more heat, is a nicer burner that sits higher off the ground(allowing me to use the drain on the keggle if desired).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out which burner would best suit my setup(I'm kind of assuming anything would be better than the turkey fryer burner, but I though initially that was the thing to buy)? I'd like to be able to easily do 10 gallon batches. Also is there a burner that would be easily used on an indoor setup(don't know when that will happen, but didn't know if I could plan ahead now with the right burner).

This looks like a great deal. Thanks for sharing!

The sq14 is 49.99 from ACE Hardware. Not a huge fan of ACE but if you have one locally and go to the store they will order it for you and have it shipped to the store for free. Since my Ace is closer than 14.00 worth of shipping, I saved some cash by doing this.

:rockin:

I currently have 2 turkey fryer burners, one works pretty good, the other one blew through a propane tank within a few brews and seems to have a more narrow flame and takes longer to get to a full boil(than the other one that has a wider flame). Unfortunately the one that takes longer and burns more heat, is a nicer burner that sits higher off the ground(allowing me to use the drain on the keggle if desired).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out which burner would best suit my setup(I'm kind of assuming anything would be better than the turkey fryer burner, but I though initially that was the thing to buy)? I'd like something that I can of course use outside, but at some point I'd like to be able to convert to an inside setup(don't know when that will happen, but didn't know if I could plan ahead now with the right burner).

What do you mean by an "inside setup" ? The three bayou burners (SP10, SQ14, KAB4) are all awesome, but I'm not sure if any of them would be ideal for use in a kitchen.

If "inside" means "inside my garage" then I could recommend any of these burners.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out which burner would best suit my setup(I'm kind of assuming anything would be better than the turkey fryer burner, but I though initially that was the thing to buy)? I'd like to be able to easily do 10 gallon batches. Also is there a burner that would be easily used on an indoor setup(don't know when that will happen, but didn't know if I could plan ahead now with the right burner).

the sp-10 is a good choice but will require you to put the grate from your grill on top of the burner, in between the burner and your keggle. The keggle will be slightly to wide in diameter. not a big deal but something to consider.

the 14 will fit your keggle just right, a bit more expensive, but may be worth the additional cost to you.

both will get you onto your boil very quickly.

In that case, I would probably rather get the bigger burner. Thanks for letting me know that. Definitely a big factor. By inside setup, it may not even be relevant because I assume electric is the only safe(er) way to go, but something that I could set up in a basement or actually set up a "commercial style" brew room. I guess with proper ventilation there may be a few other possibilities, but I haven't delved that far into the options yet. Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Always much appreciated.

I suppose if I'm going to make the move on a new burner I should do a little further research on them. Are there any threads anyone suggests I check out? Would this be your first recommendation for a burner(considering the price)?

you can scroll down on this message and take a look at similar threads. Bayou 10 & 14's are popular in the entry level high pressure burner for propane.

the KAB's are popular for the upper end and I think they can be converted to nat. gas if you ever want to move from propane onto nat. gas. we have nat. gas coming plumbed into our homes where I live, so it is much cheaper to run off nat. gas and 'T' into our existing gas line, than it is to run off of a propane tank.

hope that helps and doesn't confuse you more...

Ok great. I'm on the mobile version so I don't see the links, but I'll check it out later. I also have natural gas plumbed into my home, so that was kind of what I was shooting for. Something that could be easily used indoors down the road. Surely the natural gas is a safer way to go? You'd likely still need good ventilation. Thanks for your informative response!

What about this setup? Is the pot ok to use to boil wort? Or should I just get a burner?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BXHL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would NOT get that kit. I highly recommend the SQ14 as I mentioned above. If you can not source it from an ACE then I am sure there are plenty of other places that will ship it to you.

The sq14 does NOT require a grill grate to hold a keggle, it has 4 legs and sits lower to the ground. If you do not have a march pump this can be the difference in a blown back and not. I have 1 of each and I like the sq14 MUCH better.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this setup? Is the pot ok to use to boil wort? Or should I just get a burner?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BXHL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

do some research and check the BTU's that the burner in your link will put out.

I think the 10 & 14 put out about 175,000 btu's so it will take you to a boil very quickly.

a 30 qt pot is the minimum size that you will need to boil a 5 gallon batch. 30qt = 7.5 gallons to the rim.

remember that to get 5 gallons at the end, you will need about 6.5 gallons in the beginning to compensate for evaporation (evap depends on many factors such as humidity, size of pot etc. so you will need to figure this part out for yourself).

6.5 gallons at hotbreak will likely mean a boil over unless precautions are taken.

you might find that a 36qt pot will suit your needs better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back