Bavarian Honey Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Let me know what you duders think:

6 pounds Pilsner
6 pounds german wheat
1 pound honey malt
1 pound caramel 10L

2 pounds orange blossom honey

1 oz hallertau @ 60
1/4 oz sweet orange peel

Wyeast 3068

Going for a honey bavarian wheat with a hint of orange. Good idea or no?

Might want to bump up the orange a bit. I used 3/4 of an ounce sweet orange peel in my pumpkin ale. It was overwhelming in secondary and when bottling, but after 3 weeks I could barely taste it.... it fades QUICK. I suspect 1/4 will be unnoticable after 3 weeks in bottles.

This recipe is a great idea though, sounds like a very tasty beer.

just out of curiosity, how far does a pound of honey malt go? I have been wanting to use it, but I don't know how much the honey comes through.

I like that recipe though, might make a PM batch of it sometime.

Cheesefood said:
Let me know what you duders think:

6 pounds Pilsner
6 pounds german wheat
1 pound honey malt
1 pound caramel 10L

2 pounds orange blossom honey

1 oz hallertau @ 60
1/4 oz sweet orange peel

Wyeast 3068

Going for a honey bavarian wheat with a hint of orange. Good idea or no?

WAYYYYYY too much honey malt! I would honestly recommend not going with more than a half pound, a little goes a LONG way.

And I thought you hated hefes?

Dude said:
WAYYYYYY too much honey malt! I would honestly recommend not going with more than a half pound, a little goes a LONG way.

And I thought you hated hefes?

No, I'm a Hefe lover. I love Hefes like you love IPAs. Hefes and Wits are my most commonly brewed beer.

Thanks for the tip on the honey. I've never used it before. I don't want Honey-Domination, just a pleasant aftertaste.

seefresh said:
Might want to bump up the orange a bit. I used 3/4 of an ounce sweet orange peel in my pumpkin ale. It was overwhelming in secondary and when bottling, but after 3 weeks I could barely taste it.... it fades QUICK. I suspect 1/4 will be unnoticable after 3 weeks in bottles.

This recipe is a great idea though, sounds like a very tasty beer.

You used orange and pumpkin together though, so it was bound to get lost. I might do a heavy half-ounce, but that's about all the flavor I want.

Cheesefood said:
You used orange and pumpkin together though, so it was bound to get lost. I might do a heavy half-ounce, but that's about all the flavor I want.

True, true, the pumpkin got a little lost as well though. Main taste I pick up in it is the malt. I used an intense grain bill, so you're probably right, with such a simple grain bill for the hefe you probably picked the right amount of orange.

After reading the Caramel Cream Ale recipe i've been doing some gravedigging on recipes posted by Cheese and this one caught my eye, but i had some questions about it.
Is the listed 6 pounds of pilsner and wheat grain, LME or DME? Is the batch 5 gallons, 6 or 10?
If it was DME, with 12 pounds of malt and 2 pounds of honey, this would make one wicked strong beer if it was a 5 gallon batch.
Hopefully Cheese or someone else can help me out with this dinosaur so i can try this one!

Back