Bavarian Hefeweizen ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordancwilk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Relatively new home brewer here, doing my 3rd brew which is the Bavarian Hefeweizen kit from northern brewer. Everything seems to be going well (I think) and now I'm debating on whether my beer is ready to bottle. It has been fermenting for 13 days, and the SG is down to 1.020 for the past 2-3 days. OG was 1.050.

I'm leaning towards bottling it since I have read that wheat beers tend to go on the early side, and I have not seen any bubbling for a week now and gravity seems to have stabilized. The only thing holding me back is whether or not this is a good FG? Also there is still a layer (although thin) of krausen on top. Is it ok to bottle when this has not 'dropped down' into the beer?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for humoring a beginner!

I would think that in a low gravity beer like this, the FG would be a little bit lower, like somewhere in the 1.015-1.010 range. That being said, if the gravity has been stable for a few days, chances are very good that you have reached your FG. You can go ahead and bottle, and as long as the gravity has stabilized, you can ignore the thin krausen on top. Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Your SG is to high. Krausen that has not dropped is an indicator the beer is not ready. Wait a couple more weeks to avoid bottle bombs.

I was hoping for somewhere around 1.010 - 1.012. I might let it sit for a few more days and take one more reading.

It fermented around 63-64 degrees F, which I've read is on the lower end for what this beer should be at. How will this affect the FG?

Back