Batman Inspired Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
I'm a big Batman guy. I've decided to do a series of beers named after characters from Batman. I'm trying pair up a style to the character name. Here is what I have so far. I'm trying to stick with their real name as kind of a deep cut. Probably then just use their first name.

Bruce Wayne: Imperial Stout
Alfred Pennyworth: English Bitter
Lucius Fox: American Stout
Ivy: American IPA
Joker: American Wild Ale
James Gordon:
Jonathan Crane:
Ra's al Ghul:
Talia al Ghul:
Bane:
Edward Nygma:
Selina Kyle:
Harvey Dent:
Harvey Bullock:

Well that's a start. So many more to use.

Thoughts?

Harvey Dent will probably have to be a blended beer, itll have to be two completely different beers with assertive enough character that both come out when you drink them but neither dominates.

R'as al Ghul I would probably go with something like a rauchbier or similarly smoked beer (the whole ninja's throwing smoke bombs on the ground and disappearing, if this isn't in the comics then I apologize).

Bane is definitely an American Barleywine.

Jonathan Crane gotta go with a pumpkin beer (the whole Scarecrow thing and Halloween sort of thing).

Edward Nygma should be one of those beers where the appearance doesn't match the flavor, like a black Pilsner lager or a deep red Hefeweizen or something.

Seems like Jim Gordon should be something classic and all-American like an American pale lager, but that's kinda boring.

Seems like Jim Gordon should be something classic and all-American like an American pale lager, but that's kinda boring.

Or maybe a clone of the Rogue Donut Beer (get it? Cuz he's a cop... :tank::smack::drunk:)

But I do agree with doing something kinda all-American, good-ole boy-ish like a pale ale, pale lager, etc.

What about John Blake? Since its implied that he is Robin, maybe do like a mini-me version of your Bruce Wayne beer? A session stout (is that a thing?) :D

Or maybe a clone of the Rogue Donut Beer (get it? Cuz he's a cop... :tank::smack::drunk:)

But I do agree with doing something kinda all-American, good-ole boy-ish like a pale ale, pale lager, etc.

What about John Blake? Since its implied that he is Robin, maybe do like a mini-me version of your Bruce Wayne beer? A session stout (is that a thing?) :D

That's not Robin. Dick Grayson is Robin, done and done.

Know those posts we see from time to time where someone posts a photo of a mystery pellicle and asks what to do? They say, this recipe started out fine but I kind of forgot about it and the airlock went dry and now it's a mess and we respond with "Hey, I don't know what's wrong with it but it might be good, it might be bad, try it and see, maybe you can throw some Brett in there to fix it up." Know those threads?

That's your Harvey Bullock.

Ra's Al Ghul Red Rye IPA
Talia Al Ghl Rye Pale Ale
Jim Gordon Pilsner
Edward Nygma Black IPA
Jonathon Crane American Wheat Ale (or a corn-laden adjunct lager)
Harvey Dent SMaSH ale (only two main ingredients)
Harvey Bullock Vienna Lager

Another one for Alfred (from the newest movies). An ale (style is up to you) that has been aged over something that is used to make Fernet Branca, perhaps rhubarb?

Edward Nygma should be one of those beers where the appearance doesn't match the flavor, like a black Pilsner lager or a deep red Hefeweizen or something.

Was thinking along the lines of a dry hopped sour for Nygma.

Here is what I have thus far. Good suggestions all around. Thanks

Character Style
Alfred Pennyworth Strong Bitter
Bane Maibock
Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl Trappist Single
Bruce Wayne aka Batman aka Dark Knight aka Caped Crusader aka Matches Malone Imperial Stout
Damien Wayne aka Robin Brown IPA
Dick Grayson aka Robin aka Nightwing Black IPA
Edward Nygma aka The Riddler Dry Hopped Sour
Harleen Quinzel aka Harley Quinn Saison
Harvey Bullock Irish Red
Harvey Dent aka Two Face SMaSH
James Gordon Vienna Lager
Jason Todd aka Robin aka Red Hood Red IPA
Joker American Wild Ale
Jonathan Crane aka Scarecrow
Lucius Fox American Stout
Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot aka Penquin Robust Porter
Pamela Isley aka Poison Ivy American IPA
R'as al Ghul Rye IPA
Talia al Ghul Rye Pale Ale
Selina Kyle aka Catwoman
Tim Drake aka Robin White IPA

For Selena Kyle, maybe a beer with a lot of Simcoe/Citra since people say they give off a cat pee aroma (I personally have never experienced this)

I've got no interesting input for names, as most have been mentioned already.. would be super fun opportunity to make fun labels though. You going to brew all these, or just making a list in case?

For Bane, I suggest a highly hopped imperial rye stout: "*THEN* YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO RYE!"

lol... or a DIPA..

"Wow that's too hoppy.."
1365088110185.jpg

I've got no interesting input for names, as most have been mentioned already.. would be super fun opportunity to make fun labels though. You going to brew all these, or just making a list in case?

More make a beer name list. When I brew that style, I have a name for it.

Although, I will be brewing some of these in the coming weeks for a comp we have in April.

Back