Batches in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always used BeerAlchemy and like it, I thought i would try Beer Smith on my PC to compare. Does anyone know if there is a way to make "batches" in BS like in BA, or do you just make a new recipe for each time you brew a new batch?

I just duplicate the recipe, change the date, and add v1.1, or 1.2, etc. Slight changes to a recipe I do v2, v3, etc. I don't know if there's any other way, but I started doing it like this and I'm used to it now.

Huh, the way I work this is to keep a slate of recipes in My Recipes. Then, when the recipe becomes a brew day I copy the recipe over to Brew Log. This puts the brew date, primary duration, secondary duration and aging duration on your calendar. Now you can tweak the recipe to reflect actual brewd ay results and place notes specific to that brew.

I have yet to make a batch strictly according to recipe. I might make on the fly tweaks (read oopses) to ingredient amounts, boil times or water volumes. In this way I can document the actual brew I made that day without altering the original recipe still stored in My Recipes. I put all of my notes in my Brew Log as making the same recipe on different days will result in different notes and tastes etc.

I do this as well (with the folders) but still put the version designation. Just easier to see and sort for me, especially when I have a LOT of the same beers brewed, some slightly varied and some the same recipe.

Latest posts

Back