Batch Sparge Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie_Brewer

Reaction score
Just did my first AG brew last weekend. I had a quick question regarding running off the wort to the boil kettle from the MLT. I have a 5gal Rubbermaid cooler fitted with a stainless braid and ball valve. I just placed my BK under the MLT and opened the ball valve to drain the MLT. Should I buy some tubing to run from the ball valve to the BK? I was thinking this would maybe create some sort of siphon effect and speed up the runnings? Or is this not a big deal?

Thanks a lot:mug:

I recommend a siphon. Not that I worry about HSO, it just sucks the MLT dry where your method wouldn't. Then you have to tilt. I now use a pump but I think most gravity guys would say to use a siphon.

Sorry, HSA = Hot Side Aeration

It's debatable as to how much to worry about it.

Just get a section of silicone tubing to run from the ball valve down into the boil kettle. I don't think you want to waterfall it in because of the aeration issue. Although, I don't think you will get any faster flow than gravity.

Back