Bass Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischfam

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Whitelab British Ale
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.051-1.053
Final Gravity
1.012-1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4-5
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4-5
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
estery, hop, malt aroma
Steep 1# of crushed 40L Crystal Malt in 1/2 gallon of water for 20 minutes @ 150F.
Strain the grains into brew pot and sparge with 1/2 gallon of water @ 150F and press dry.
Add 1.5 gallons of water and bring to a boil.

Remove pot from heat and add;

6# light DME
1oz Northern Brewer (bittering hop)
1 tsp Burton water salts

Add water to a total volume of 2.5 gallons and boil for 45 minutes then add,
.25 oz Challenger (flavor hop)
1 tsp Irish moss

Boil for 5 minutes then add;
.5 oz Northern Brewer (flavor hop)

Boil for 9 minutes then add;
.25 oz Northern Brewer

Boil for 1 minute, remove pot from stove and cool for 15 minutes.
Strain the cooled wort into primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 gallons.
When wort temperature is below 80F pitch yeast.
Ferment for 4-5 days or until fermentation slows then siphon into secondary fermenter.

Bottle when fermentation is complete with
.75 cup of corn sugar.

I just started this two days ago and it is fermenting like crazy. Will let you know who it comes out. I think the next time I will try the AG BIAB method for this recipe which is 11# of 2 row British malt with the 1# of 40L and steep for 90 minutes then use 27% less IBU and everything else the same.

I just started this two days ago and it is fermenting like crazy. Will let you know who it comes out. I think the next time I will try the AG BIAB method for this recipe which is 11# of 2 row British malt with the 1# of 40L and steep for 90 minutes then use 27% less IBU and everything else the same.

This recipe is going into the fermenter tonight.... wish me luck:mug:

This recipe is going into the fermenter tonight.... wish me luck:mug:
It's a very easy recipe to make and you should have great luck with it. I use this as my standard house ale and actually just brewed a 3 gallon batch with the addition of dried sweet orange peel and ground coriander at last five minutes of the boil.

It's a very easy recipe to make and you should have great luck with it. I use this as my standard house ale and actually just brewed a 3 gallon batch with the addition of dried sweet orange peel and ground coriander at last five minutes of the boil.

it's bubbling away happily....

Interested in a 4 gallon batch - what do smaller batch brewers normally do to change up volume like this? Beersmith?

Also, has there been an tasty update to this that would be decently easy for a beginner such as myself? BIAB I can do. Also, big hops taste isn't my thing just yet...suggestions on removal of some of the last flavoring ones if that is even adviseable.

Thanks, ya'll!

Back