basic freezer set up... do i need a temp regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemind

Reaction score
For a simple set up, a small freezer to hold a couple cornies do you NEED to have a temp regulator on your freezer? Or will most freezers hold a basic temp and work ok without this extra item?

Also what is a good temp to keep your freezer?

I don't need a full on keezer set up just yet... I am pretty new to this whole brewing thing. But i did order a small freezer from Sears and I will be getting my first corny kit next month. I just want to figure out the very basics for having one of my beers on tap.

Down the line I may try the DIY keezer build with collar... but for now, what are the very basics I will need to have a corny set up working in my freezer?

Thanks in advance for the info!

It is possible to find a freezer that the highest adjustment is above freezing... but that would be considered out of spec for a freezer.

A new one from sears... not likely. Get a controller.

What temp do you use?

I have not really seen what temps folks are holding at... I like mine on the warmer side, and can drink 50 degrees happily. But not in the draft fridge. I have not figured out my ideal yet...

yeah... if someone has a good temp they keep their freezer at i would like to have a good place to start.

Meanwhile, I guess i need to figure out a good temp regulator. Any suggestions on a decent one for a good price?

thanks again for the info!

Ranco, Love and Johnson seem to be the answers for controllers. Single stage ranco for keeping a freezer at fridge temps. Ebay often has deals apparently. Google them and look around. Brew shops carry them as well (Johnson, at least).

Some people seem to control air temp, some put the temp probe in a glass of water (to reflect the liquid temp of the beer). Start at 40 degrees and adjust to suit your taste from there.

Back