Baseball Hall of Fame is lame...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm so happy that Blyleven's finally in - but man this process is a joke...

The guy was passed over 13 times, but now all of the sudden he's a "Hall of Famer"?

He hasn't thrown one pitch in MLB in those 13 years (more if you count the "grace" period), but now he's worthy?

Why the hell wasn't he a first ballot HOFer? 287 wins (27th all time), 14th all time in innings pitched, 60 career shutouts (9th all time), and 5th all time in strike-outs.....

What say you shecky?

Blyleven's loss total was huge. I agree he was a clutch pitcher but I'm not sure he's a HoF guy.

Bigger question: how the hell is Larry Walker considered? Good player but surely not Hall worthy.

Blyleven's loss total was huge. I agree he was a clutch pitcher but I'm not sure he's a HoF guy.

Blyleven W/L: 287-250 3.31 ERA

versus

Nolan Ryan W/L: 324-292 3.19 ERA

Bert played on crappy teams; hence his loss total...

Plus, Blyleven is an awesome name!

Bigger question: how the hell is Larry Walker considered? Good player but surely not Hall worthy.

Yeah, smacking around the ball at 5200' in elevation during the steriod era doesn't do much for me....

BASEBALL IS LAME!!

I won't watch until they implement some sort of salary cap. I'm tired of hearing about the Spanky's and Red Pukes and every other team with the cash dumping ridiculous amounts of money in the off season trying to buy a championship.

Also I don't care who took steroids, release the full list and get on with it already!

and a billion more Ks

W-L is not something a pitcher has controll over, all they can do is pitch. cant score runs....

BASEBALL IS LAME!!

I won't watch until they implement some sort of salary cap. I'm tired of hearing about the Spanky's and Red Pukes and every other team with the cash dumping ridiculous amounts of money in the off season trying to buy a championship.

Be careful what you say, because football is perilously close to being in the same situation. Then you won't have any sport to watch.........

Be careful what you say, because football is perilously close to being in the same situation. Then you won't have any sport to watch.........

See, not really. This is a couple years old (from this blog article on NFL.com), but it's total spending on player salary and bonuses for the five years between 2004 and 2008.

Team Dollars, in millions
1. Cowboys $566.89
2. Seahawks $552.42
3. Redskins $547.37
4. Colts $532.77
5. Vikings $526.87
6. Texans $522.23
7. Saints $518.49
8. Steelers $516.69
9. Panthers $516.09
10. Patriots $513.31
11. Raiders $513.21
12. Ravens $507.05
13. Browns $506.43
14. Cardinals $505.30
15. Lions $505.04
16. Jets $502.53
17. Rams $502.08
18. Dolphins $500.56
19. Giants $497.63
20. Eagles $495.75
21. Bears $495.57
22. Falcons $493.07
23. Bengals $491.06
24. 49ers $486.40
25. Chargers $485.46
26. Broncos $485.40
27. Bills $493.71
28. Jaguars $480.06
29. Titans $465.29
30. Packers $457.16
31. Chiefs $451.58
32. Buccaneers $449.00

I sure as hell can't see much correlation to the teams that were near the top of the list and the teams that had a lot of success in this period. The Pats were only 10th on the list. There also isn't nearly the gap between the high spenders and the those on the low side - 25th-percentile Steelers were $516M (total), 75th-percentile Chargers were $485M; that's only about $6M a season.

Just hearing some numbers about 2010 the other day, which I can't put my hands on, the Pats were one of the lowest-spending teams in 2010 and the Bills (who suck, and who knew they were going to suck) were near the top.

Baseball, yeah... as a Sox fan, it's a little guilt-inducing to see them grab Carl Crawford and trade for Gonzalez and do all that. Football, though, the salary cap system, in my opinion, works pretty well.

i agree with the bird. there is tons of money in football... but teams that dont spend it dont spend it cuz they are stupid. in MLB many teams couldn't even if they wanted to.

and a billion more Ks

W-L is not something a pitcher has controll over, all they can do is pitch. cant score runs....

Exactly my point...

"They" always said they couldn't induct Bly because he didn't win 300....

Bly had 65 no decisions in his career where he pitched more than 5 innings and gave up less than 2 earned...

He also had 76 complete game losses...

See, not really. This is a couple years old (from this blog article on NFL.com), but it's total spending on player salary and bonuses for the five years between 2004 and 2008.

I sure as hell can't see much correlation to the teams that were near the top of the list and the teams that had a lot of success in this period. The Pats were only 10th on the list. There also isn't nearly the gap between the high spenders and the those on the low side - 25th-percentile Steelers were $516M (total), 75th-percentile Chargers were $485M; that's only about $6M a season.

Just hearing some numbers about 2010 the other day, which I can't put my hands on, the Pats were one of the lowest-spending teams in 2010 and the Bills (who suck, and who knew they were going to suck) were near the top.

Baseball, yeah... as a Sox fan, it's a little guilt-inducing to see them grab Carl Crawford and trade for Gonzalez and do all that. Football, though, the salary cap system, in my opinion, works pretty well.

My point was that football is about to lift the salary cap. When that happens, THEN you will see some REAL differences in team salaries as you do now in baseball. That gap will widen considerably. And then football will be just like baseball, with just the Cowboys and Patriots and Giants in the Super Bowl every year.
The NFL has been a model of parity for many many years. Now they are about the break that mold.

i agree with the bird. there is tons of money in football... but teams that dont spend it dont spend it cuz they are stupid. in MLB many teams couldn't even if they wanted to.

Not necessarily true. Many low payroll teams are making quite a bit of money. Take a look at the financial documents that Deadspin got a hold of.

I've never quite understood the idea that someone isn't worthy of getting voted into the Hall of Fame for so many years, and then all of a sudden gets voted in. That being said, it's high time that Jack Morris, Alan Trammell and Sweet Lou Whitaker get voted in.

Not necessarily true. Many low payroll teams are making quite a bit of money. Take a look at the financial documents that Deadspin got a hold of.

I've never quite understood the idea that someone isn't worthy of getting voted into the Hall of Fame for so many years, and then all of a sudden gets voted in. That being said, it's high time that Jack Morris, Alan Trammell and Sweet Lou Whitaker get voted in.

ugh, none of those guys are even borderline!

I think Jack's 1991 10-inning complete game shutout in game 7 of the World Series should get him in just by itself....then again, I still consider that the best baseball game ever.

Thing is, it's hard to look at Jack Morris' numbers for his career and think "Hall of Fame." But at least for a while, he really was considered one of the most feared pitchers in the game. I'm a fan (to some extent) of that qualitative aspect being part of the Hall of Fame induction decision; who were the players that you really WANTED to watch, or were afraid of when they were on the other side? Jack Morris is a borderline HoF'er even though he was that guy for a while. You look at the stats, but it's not JUST the stats or the Hall becomes kind of... sterile.

Blyleven... he was mostly before my time, but I've never gotten the impression that he really WAS that kind of player.

Speaking of Hall of Fames... football HOF is going to be interesting this year; Neon Deion is up for induction. He'll be worth more than a little debate. Three really, really good running backs, too; Curtis Martin, Kevin Faulk's distant, distant, distance cousin Marshall, and The Bus.

Thing is, it's hard to look at Jack Morris' numbers for his career and think "Hall of Fame." But at least for a while, he really was considered one of the most feared pitchers in the game. I'm a fan (to some extent) of that qualitative aspect being part of the Hall of Fame induction decision; who were the players that you really WANTED to watch, or were afraid of when they were on the other side? Jack Morris is a borderline HoF'er even though he was that guy for a while. You look at the stats, but it's not JUST the stats or the Hall becomes kind of... sterile.

Blyleven... he was mostly before my time, but I've never gotten the impression that he really WAS that kind of player.

Speaking of Hall of Fames... football HOF is going to be interesting this year; Neon Deion is up for induction. He'll be worth more than a little debate. Three really, really good running backs, too; Curtis Martin, Kevin Faulk's distant, distant, distance cousin Marshall, and The Bus.

Those are spot on points....

I know Morris won the Series MVP in 1991 and I seem to recall him being pivotal in 1992 for the Jays. And didn't he win the Series in 1984 for the Tigers?

Bly was a longevity type guy - tons of complete games, a **** load of strikeouts, and a ton of no-decisions were he only gave up 1 or 2 ER....

Sanders? Yes.
Martin? Yes.
Faulk? Yes.
Bettis? No. (ouch - that hurts to say as a ND fan....)

I think Jack's 1991 10-inning complete game shutout in game 7 of the World Series should get him in just by itself....then again, I still consider that the best baseball game ever.

quite possilby yes.... but he was pretty good, but never great other than that.

its the hall of fame, not the hall of, wow I had a great season

neion deon was all time great, marshall faulk changed the game... the other too.... meh.

Back