American IPA Base Pale Ale Recipe for Single hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
1/2 L rehydration/starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5g - accounting for loss
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
40ish
Color
5.5ish
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Sharing a single hop base recipe for pale ale I use when I’m trying out a new variety of hops for the first time. I have not found a hop that does not work well with this beer but Strata, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Mandarina Bavaria have been stand outs so far. I’m going to use Galaxy as the hop in the recipe below;

Grains
10lb - 2row
1Lb - White Wheat
0.5lb - Biscuit

Hops
6oz Galaxy

Yeast
US05 - can use any ale yeast you prefer but like stated earlier this is my base recipe to understand the characteristics of varietal specific hop.

Water profile:
Ca:89
Mg:11
Cl: 154
So4:102
Na: 72

Mash ph of 5.35

Mash - 152* 4 gallons for 60 mins
Sparge - 168* 4 gallons , stir hard and rest for 5 mins, then drain.

Boil Hop schedule
0.5 oz Galaxy @60
0.5 oz Galaxy @10
1.0 oz Galaxy @F.O.

Whirlpool @170* for 30/40 min
2 oz Galaxy

Dryhop
2 oz Galaxy - 3 days before cold crash. Use close transfer and proper post fermentation anti-oxigen procedures.

Co2 Vol

This beer comes out slightly juicy with great mouthfeel but at the same time it’s dry enough to finish somewhat crisp. It’s a great base recipe to learn about different hops.

BAE76415-672C-48DD-8CD5-839AC91B104F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good stuff man. I love the single hop pale ales. I started working them into my rotation to have something lighter than my usual hop bombs and learn more about hops I haven't used before. I have one with Medusa carbing now. The ones I've done so far were 2 row/wheat/a little 15L but I was going to tweak the grain bill and include Vienna instead of the crystal on the next one so maybe I'll do a version of yours with Vienna in place of the biscuit.

Sharing a single hop base recipe for pale ale I use when I’m trying out a new variety of hops for the first time. I have not found a hop that does not work well with this beer but Strata, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Mandarina Bavaria have been stand outs so far. I’m going to use Galaxy as the hop in the recipe below;

Grains
10lb - 2row
1Lb - White Wheat
0.5lb - Biscuit

Hops
6oz Galaxy

Yeast
US05 - can use any ale yeast you prefer but like stated earlier this is my base recipe to understand the characteristics of varietal specific hop.

Boil Hop schedule
0.5 oz Galaxy @60
0.5 oz Galaxy @10
1.0 oz Galaxy @F.O.

2 oz Galaxy

Dryhop
2 oz Galaxy - 3 days before cold crash. Use close transfer and proper post fermentation anti-oxigen procedures.

Co2 Vol

This beer comes out slightly juicy with great mouthfeel but at the same time it’s dry enough to finish somewhat crisp. It’s a great base recipe to learn about different hops.

View attachment 660474

Looks good, thanks for sharing.
Do you have any water values?
Might try this with some Ella.

I use my typical NEIPA water profile. I’ll update the recipe when I’m get chance to look in my notes.
Ok thanks.
I just remembered I only have 3.5 ounces of Ella.
I'm familiar with all the C hops and Amarillo.
So might try it with Halltauer Blanc but need to check my inventory in Beersmith first.

Grains
10lb - 2row
1Lb - White Wheat
0.5lb - Biscuit

Hops
6oz Galaxy

Yeast

Water profile:
Ca:89
Mg:11
Cl: 154
So4:102
Na: 72

Mash ph of 5.35

Boil Hop schedule
0.5 oz Galaxy @60
0.5 oz Galaxy @10
1.0 oz Galaxy @F.O.

2 oz Galaxy

Dryhop

Co2 Vol

View attachment 660474
Thank you for this base recipe. The more I brew, the more I’m shying away from c-malts.
Also- Mandarins Bavarian hops have been on my to-brew list for years. Just haven’t gotten around to it.

This is perfect. I was thinking about doing a series of single hop brews this year using the same grain bill, even starting with Galaxy as I have never brewed with it.

Brewed this, accidentally added an extra pound and half of grain. As well followed the hop schedule and size without translating the hops AAU amount.
Used cashmere hops (7% AAU compared to the 14%AAU of Galaxy)

so it’s a 6.3 % Ale but very little bitterness 29 IBUS.

not bad but will have to try again.

Nice recipe. How are you controlling post ferm O2? When you cold crash, how long are you crashing for and how do you take care of suck back or possible O2 coming in from the negative pressure?

Are you using lactic or phosphoric acid to keep the ph in check? I take it no acidulated malt.

Nice recipe. How are you controlling post ferm O2? When you cold crash, how long are you crashing for and how do you take care of suck back or possible O2 coming in from the negative pressure?

Are you using lactic or phosphoric acid to keep the ph in check? I take it no acidulated malt.
I use lactic acid. I ferment in 7 gal fermonsters. To eliminate o2 I’ve converted the lid to have two ball lock keg post; a liquid and a gas. The liquid is attached to a floating dip tube(CBD system). During fermentation I’ll hook the co2 post to a empty and sterilized keg that has a blow off running from it. The fermentation will purge the keg completely of o2. Then when I’m ready to crash I’ll connect the fermenter to my co2 regulator at 3 psi. That way it prevents any suck back and will just kick on the regulator. Complete closed system.

Last edited:
I use acidulated malt right now and thinking about dabbling with lactic.

I only have anvils and speidels...stock. I can only cc for about 24 hours before the sanitizer in the two foot tube for blowoff starts creeping close to going in the brew.

I use acidulated malt right now and thinking about dabbling with lactic.

I only have anvils and speidels...stock. I can only cc for about 24 hours before the sanitizer in the two foot tube for blowoff starts creeping close to going in the brew.
Acid malt is doused in lactic acid, so it’s practically the same but with straight acid additions you have slightly more control

Brewed this, accidentally added an extra pound and half of grain. As well followed the hop schedule and size without translating the hops AAU amount.
Used cashmere hops (7% AAU compared to the 14%AAU of Galaxy)

so it’s a 6.3 % Ale but very little bitterness 29 IBUS.

not bad but will have to try again.
I also found that cashmere isn’t a stand alone hop. Has great peachie character but it’s very delicate in my opinion.

I also found that cashmere isn’t a stand alone hop. Has great peachie character but it’s very delicate in my opinion.

Yeah I can see that. I bought a pound on sale of Canadian cashmere so was excited to try and all Canadian pale ale. But yes they do seem a little lack lustre.

O'dell has a single hop Cashmere IPA available in their mix pack right now. The bottle describes the aroma as white grape and soft peach and the flavor being melon, lime, and pear. I'm not crazy about it but I would still recommend it just to try it out. It's certainly different from all the citrus hops we all love but I agree with what others have said about it not being an ideal choice as a standalone hop.

Very very interesting. I also have a single hop tester recipe that is almost identical to yours. The only difference is I use Munich I instead of biscuit, 1272 instead of us-05. Even the hopping schedule is pretty much identical! Sometimes I separate it into two dry hops.

Very very interesting. I also have a single hop tester recipe that is almost identical to yours. The only difference is I use Munich I instead of biscuit, 1272 instead of us-05. Even the hopping schedule is pretty much identical! Sometimes I separate it into two dry hops.
Nice! I bet you’re is lighter in color and has slightly less malt character. I may have to try yours. I have some sabro and I really want to do a single hop and push it to 8 oz to see what I get

I use a little Munich in most of my IPAs as well but they are closer to amber in color. I really like the look of Dgallo's recipe so I'll stick with that. I just bought 4 pounds of hops from Yakima Valley. I plan to do 6 different single hop IPAs throughout the year with a few other styles mixed in.

I use a little Munich in most of my IPAs as well but they are closer to amber in color. I really like the look of Dgallo's recipe so I'll stick with that. I just bought 4 pounds of hops from Yakima Valley. I plan to do 6 different single hop IPAs throughout the year with a few other styles mixed in.
Munich 1 is about a 7L and biscuit is more than 3x’s that so it should keep it lighter in color than my recipe at the same percentage.

What hops are planing? Keep us all posted on how it comes out

Last edited:
So, I think Im finally going to try one of these. Not sure which hop I want to try though. Im torn between Hallertau Blanc, Azacca, and Strata. Im not familiar with hallertau blanc at all but Ive seen some peeps saying its more "one dimensional" towards the white wine (similar to nelson) but descriptions on websites that sell this hop seems to give a loooong list of descriptives. Anyone try this on HB or azacca?

Secondly I don't have biscuit so might just either just add 0.5lb to 2 row OR bring 0.5lb of carahell. Carahell obviously doesn't bring the nuttiness (that I can detect) as biscuit but it does help with body and aroma and in small quantities, I really don't think its really that "caramel" dominant so it might work to help accentuate the hops. Thoughts?

I plan to use 8oz each of Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, Nugget, Galaxy, and Cascade for a total of 6 single hop IPAs. I know your recipe uses 6oz of hops; do you think 8oz is too much?

I plan to use 8oz each of Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, Nugget, Galaxy, and Cascade for a total of 6 single hop IPAs. I know your recipe uses 6oz of hops; do you think 8oz is too much?
No it won’t be too much for a beer. you can always use more but the higher your hopping rate goes the more likely you’re getting to more of a NEIPA. I specifically kept it to 6oz to still get a malt presence to keep it a pale ale.

I keep my IPAs in the 8-10oz range but I think I'll just stick with your exact recipe and use 6oz for each to keep these from getting too hoppy. I could probably make a killer NEIPA with the 2oz of each hop I'll have leftover though!

@Dgallo do other hops induce this much haze in this beer? My pale ales usually clear up quickly and it's never really a stable thick haze in the first place. I do know that Galaxy is notorious for adding more haze as well...

@Dgallo do other hops induce this much haze in this beer? My pale ales usually clear up quickly and it's never really a stable thick haze in the first place. I do know that Galaxy is notorious for adding more haze as well...
Depends a lot on your process in general and how much hops were used. This was purposefully brewed to be a NE style Pale ale and used about 10% wheat malt. I believe the picture was also taken the day it was tapped. It cleared slightly over time

Well after going back and forth on what to try with this pale ale recipe, Im going to try it with Idaho 7. After some differing experiences from others in another thread called Best NEIPA hop combos, I thought it would be good to experience myself what Idaho 7 by itself brings to the table. Going to take the same grain bill as @Dgallo posted in the OP but with WLP001 California Ale yeast. Total hop amount will be same at 6oz but might try to bring out the "orange" character many seem to get from I7 so will whirlpool slightly lower temp. Excited for this! Will brew it this friday (or saturday).

I ordered ingredients to brew three 1+ gallon batches of this. Each with a different single hop. No idea when everything will arrive.
@BongoYodeler reading your "in fermenters" I see you got an Azacca Pale Ale. If this is a single hop, Im curious to hear of your experiences with what you get out of it. Please keep us posted.

Hello- Thanks for great recipe base.

I do have some q's-
I just ordered Azacca hops but have never brewed with them.
(1) Would they be good as a single hop?
(2) If not, I have the following on hand; citra, mandarina, mosaic, wakatu. As well as traditional hops; mt hood, tetts, cascades.
Would any of the above compliment the Azaccas?

I would like to stick w mostly Azaccas but am open to suggestions since I've never brewed with them before.

Thanks for your time.

Hello- Thanks for great recipe base.

I do have some q's-
I just ordered Azacca hops but have never brewed with them.
(1) Would they be good as a single hop?
(2) If not, I have the following on hand; citra, mandarina, mosaic, wakatu. As well as traditional hops; mt hood, tetts, cascades.
Would any of the above compliment the Azaccas?

I would like to stick w mostly Azaccas but am open to suggestions since I've never brewed with them before.

Thanks for your time.
If you don’t have experience with azacca then that’s the exact reason to do a single hop beer with them. It will show you it’s character and let you see how it is across the board.

If you don’t have experience with azacca then that’s the exact reason to do a single hop beer with them. It will show you it’s character and let you see how it is across the board.
Sounds good I was just wondering if it was one of the weaker hops.
I’ll go ahead and use all Azaccas.

Tonight I'm planning on dry hopping the first of three different batches of this currently in fermenters. Since I'm going to end up bottling all three I've pushed out the fermentation schedule to 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

Thought Id report on my idaho 7 pale ale recipe now while it is fresh on my mind. Visual signs of fermentation have been over for a couple of days, but just now took the hydro sample today (day 8). I have the exact grain bill that @Dgallo stated in the OP. My hot side hop schedule was 60minute boil (0.5oz), 10min boil (0.5oz), 45min WP @ 170 (1oz). then 30min WP 2 160 (2oz).

Impressions so far from the hydro sample that is not dry hopped: first and foremost it tastes good! lol. I get a nice blend of pine, earth/black tea, subtle fruitiness. The pine is very smooth and not in your face. The earthiness/black tea is also very smooth but definitely there but it isn't at all like a "strong spice" you can get from tea. The fruitiness is difficult for me to say whether its citrus or just orange but the fruitiness it is a little subdued compared to the other things Im getting but you definitely pick it up. While Ive read that people get "dank and orange" from I7, I got zero dank/weed quality from this but the orange/citrus is present but not like the big banger citrus hop varieties.

Overall - I think this is a great hop and I can now see why a lot of people like it as a "base" hot side hop (which is predominately how Ive been using it). It has a lot of great qualities that make it complex (pine/fruit/earthy) but with only 4 oz in the hot side, it really isn't as pungent (in your face) as Ive read others perceive it to be.

Can't wait to taste the final beer of this and eagerly anticipating what I get from this after the dry hop addition. Just wanted to report on my hydro sample since I have read a lot of people like this more as a hot side hop. I can definitely see why it can play very well with a range of hops with its versatility though.

Tonight I'm planning on dry hopping the first of three different batches of this currently in fermenters. Since I'm going to end up bottling all three I've pushed out the fermentation schedule to 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.
Which hops did you choose

Back