barleywine, old ale and imperial styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
quick question - can these styles be readily brewed using extracts and steeping grains????

i'm thinking yes.

gator

Yes. Many of the online suppy stores (Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest, Northern Brewer, etc) have Extract kits readily available for these styles.

I've had several, and the best one I'd say so far too me was the Yeti clone from AHS.. Expensive though.. Set me back $73 with shipping and everything.
Great beer though.. Still waiting for it to carb up. Only has been in the bottle about three weeks now I guess. slow to carb because of the high ABV I think.

i did the english barleywine from austin homebrew. i bought their extract recipe. i thought it was outstanding after about 6 months of aging. i have a buddy that i got into homebrewing about 2 years ago. he said it was that beer that convinced him to brew his own. still the best compliment i've received!

I've made the windriver kit several times & really liked it. Starts at about $35 but I've found it's really great with the addition of dry hopping. Last batch I added a couple lbs of honey too. Provides quite a kick. Here's their recipe.
Sleepy Time Barley Wine- A classic winter beverage with a notoriously high alcohol content. Like a fine wine, this beer will continue to improve with age. A great compliment to a hearty meal.The kit contains: 6 lbs. Amber malt extract, 6 lbs. Dark malt extract, 2 oz. Mt. Hood bittering hops, 2 oz. Kent Goldings bittering hops, 1 oz. Tettnanger aroma hops, 1/2 lb. Crystal 40°L, 1/2 lb. Victory malt , yeast and priming sugar.

Almost got to brew a Barley wine this week. Placed my order last week ,but called yesterday to check on the order. They had not even processed the order after 8 days .I canceled the order. Now I'm looking to build my own recipe. Hopefully I'll get to taste a few more at the craft brew fest this month.

Latest posts

Back