barley wine needs repitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulsoren

Reaction score
Made a partial mash barley wine, OG 1.105, 120 IBU! (planned on letting it sit for a long time anyway)
After 3 weeks primary on WL Edinburgh yeast, it seems kinda pooped out at 1.038.
If I am going to repitch, do I rack first then repitch? Or just toss fresh yeast into the primary?
Can I use another vial of the scottish ale yeast, or do I need to seek out something a little more aggressive? I like the scottish ale yeast flavors, but I worry that this beer might be too big for it.

Rack it & pitch a champagne or other white wine yeast. If you have kegs, one would be idea for finishing.

What will the wine yeast do to the flavor? I'd like it to get a little lower gravity, but it tastes about right as it sits (seems I made a slightly more bitter Bigfoot).

I would pitch the same yeast but from a very well aerated starter. If you just pitch the vial you're not likely to see much difference. You got to bring that cell count up and you can't do that without oxygen. Remember that the drier the beer gets, the more apparent the bitterness will be.

I used champagne yeast once to finish a barleywine and it got way too dry for the style. I would get the same yeast, make a huge starter, and pitch that.

+1 Brewing Clamper

So I have a starter growing.....

There is a lot of crap on the bottom of the carboy.

Do I rack and repitch or do I toss the yeast on top of all the old stuff?

Back