Barley Cultivars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
Not important, just curious what are all the different types of barley cultivars? What cultivar is most american 2 row pale?

Marris Otter
Golden Promise
Optic ?
Halcyon ?

Any others? Like I said just curious.

Not important, just curious what are all the different types of barley cultivars? What cultivar is most american 2 row pale?

Marris Otter
Golden Promise
Optic ?
Halcyon ?

Any others? Like I said just curious.

Those are all UK barleys. Like Beerific said most domestic 2-row is probably Harrington although there may still be some Klages in production as well.

So so far we have ....

Marris Otter (UK)
Golden Promise (UK)
Optic (UK)
Halcyon (UK)
Harrington (US)
Klages (US)

I assume some of those are not used in brewing, but in feed. I'm only interested in the beer ones since I don't have any cows. :D I find this obsession is nuts. I'm sure I will have some Ph tester and water reports soon enough. I knew beer was fun.... little did I know.

I assume some of those are not used in brewing, but in feed. I'm only interested in the beer ones since I don't have any cows. :D I find this obsession is nuts. I'm sure I will have some Ph tester and water reports soon enough. I knew beer was fun.... little did I know.

All of those in that report are of malting quality, they do not use malted barley for feed and since beer production is the number one use of malted barley, I assume they are all used for beer.

All of those in that report are of malting quality, they do not use malted barley for feed and since beer production is the number one use of malted barley, I assume they are all used for beer.

yea I guess they don't malt it before they feed. Anyway. That certainly extends the list. More cultivars then I thought.

Here is the consensus so far. Maybe if we get enough info we could start a Wiki on barley cultivars. :mug:

Feel free to update the list.

2-row
Halcyon (UK)
Harrington (US)
Klages (US)
AC Metcalfe (US)
CDC Copeland (US)
Conlon (US)
Conrad (US)
Craft (US)
Merit (US)
Scarlett (US)