Barley Crusher Malt Mill no Longer Crushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with their Barely Crusher not crushing grains? I've had it stop in the middle before but I've always got it going again. The rollers simply won't grab the grain. I took it apart completely, cleaned and dried the rollers, re-set the gap, still no crush. I can get them to grip for about an ounce of grain and then nothing again. Are the rollers simply worn out? I've probably put about 1000 pounds of grain through this. Doesn't seem like all that much.

I had a similar problem and was able to correct it by removing the stationary roller and cleaning it well and placing some food grade oil on it. It appears to want to stick and then the grain can't feed through it.

you will find many threads on here for this particular crusher. I use it but based on my own experience and that of others who seem to have even worse experience I'd recommend trying something else if you are looking to buy a mill.

That said I can usually get my crusher working by poking a large plastic spoon into the hopper and nudging the non driven roller forward a quarter turn (while my drill is running the driven roller). This always works for me, some batches I might have to do it once or twice for 25 pounds of grain, other batches if I have a lot of wheat malt or pilsner malt I might need to nudge it 10-20 times. It is my routine now and I always get out my plastic spoon when I get ready to mill. I never ever ever put my hand anywhere close to the rollers or even into the hopper when the drill is running! Maybe someday I will replace it but it keeps getting the job done. Good enough is the enemy of better.

thanks guys. The static roller spins fine on its own. I've been in the market for a bigger more efficient mill so I guess I'll just move it up on the list!

Anyone have trouble with their Barely Crusher not crushing grains? I've had it stop in the middle before but I've always got it going again. The rollers simply won't grab the grain. I took it apart completely, cleaned and dried the rollers, re-set the gap, still no crush. I can get them to grip for about an ounce of grain and then nothing again. Are the rollers simply worn out? I've probably put about 1000 pounds of grain through this. Doesn't seem like all that much.

You got it right with your mis-spelling of Barley..... People are constantly griping about these mills. It seems a combination of rollers wearing out and the need for anally cleaning these finicky mills.

My Corona style mill has milled at least 1000 pounds. It has never failed, it has never been disassembled, and never readjusted.

A Monster Mill is on my wish list, though.

Back