Bar/Keezer/Brew Build Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clubfed11

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been lurking on the forum for a couple weeks now and decided I should start a build log on my progress so far.

I started this project one night when I think I randomly stumbled upon the word "Kegerator" and it's all been uphill from there :)

I then decided it would be awesome to have my own beer, instead of paying $10 for a six pack all the time. I guess it started as me wanting to just homebrew, now I'm building a bar in my room as well as a keezer and some type of brewing setup. I rent an apartment so can't go full on but I've done plenty of DIY projects and pretty handy all around the house and garage...I think

Currently I only own a motorcycle so getting supplies has been slow but friends have helped out with letting me borrow their truck ect.

Anyway onto it!

Room is 27 feet long by 13 feet wide and 92inches high. We'll be focusing on the "living room" side of it. Other side just has my bed, dresser, ect.

I wanted a nice cheap hardwood floor (I have ugly carpets and figured the bar area would see lots of spills) I picked up two boxes of Brazilian Cherry Traffic Master laminate flooring from home depot on sale for $15 a box. I put down a sheet of plywood and nailed it down through the carpet.

Next I figured out how much overhang I wanted and where I was going to fit the keezer. I won't bore you with those details.

Laid down the flooring and just brad nailed them in around the border (I know laminate flooring is supposed to be "floating" but I think I'll be okay.

That last piece I'm going to need to cut and it was getting a bit late so I'll do that another day. Also it looks like the molding that I got (I went cheap) is not deep enough, going to need to maybe tack some wood under it...we'll see. I'll think of something.

Next was screwing the bar frame to the ground/wall/each other. I'm missing a small 10inch section on the other end but needed to grab another 2x4 for that and haven't cut it yet.

So far that's about where I am. Hoping to do the siding next but going to need a truck for that. Will prob just have them cut it at Home Depot.
Also waiting on my friend to hook it up with the freezer. I should be able to get a 5.1 for $125 brand new, employee discount :-D

I will keep posting updates on the build. As well as ask you guys a million questions/opinions. Cheers! :mug:

Lots of luck with the build. Lots of info and helpful people here at HBT.

Thanks Calfj60! My landlord is a pretty good guy. He does all the work on his units and pretty laid back. I actually did a lot of work in the backyard and he hasn't said anything negative about it. (stained the deck, painted the railings, installed a simple wood retaining wall, bamboo fence, added to the deck a little)

Anyway I got a lot of stuff in the mail today and cut/attached that last piece of siding. I got my fermenting stuff as well as a hefeweizen extract kit from NorCal Brewing Solutions. That 25% off code really helped. Also got my 44 Quart pot from amazon. Last thing I had to order was the equipment for the keezer. I went with KegConnection. (Image attached of what I got, also got a 5lb co2 tank not shown) I figure once I have the keezer all ready to go I'll start brewing. That way I can throw it in there and turn the brewpi on and then have it at serving temp when I'm ready. REALLY looking forward to this.

I figure the bar is still going to take awhile but it should be nice to have some beer on tap while I work on it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I want to do the lid for the keezer. Basically my bar is at 40 inches right now. I plan on having the actual bar top at 42, then a back counter/drink making area at about 36. My problem here is I'm going to need the keezer to open from time to time as I'll store other things in there besides the keg(s). Do you guys think I could modify the lid to maybe slide forward instead of pop up? Or can I remove the lid all together and just have my back counter as the lid? Insulate it of course.

I'm rambling, hard to explain. I'll try to draw up some sketches.

Cheers!

keezer.png

It's a little complicated because of where it is and because I'll have a 2inch overhang on the bar top. I think I'll make the bar top and the long part of the back bar then work the keezer lid into it.
Small update. Got the molding on finally. I had to use some square dowels hare and there that I painted black under the molding as it wasn't perfect because of the carpet. My cuts weren't great and I just tacked them on with the brad nailer. Not pretty but I'm not too worried about that. We'll see how long it lasts lol.
I think I'll start building the back bar shelves next. Then the keezer collar so I can start brewing!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434942450.842478.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1434942462.444975.jpg

I got the wood for the keezer collar yesterday and put it together today. My freezer is 33inches high and I'm hoping to include it into the back counter at 36inches so I went with some 1x2s as the collar. I'm not going to be putting too many kegs in here and I can put the co2 tank outside if needed so not too worried about space. Painted it black. Drying now. Should slap it on tomorrow and my keg/tap stuff should be here on Thursday. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435116852.980698.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435116863.699343.jpg

I got some cuts done for the shelf today but ran out of wood. I should need about 3 more 1x2s (miss having a car rn) I also mounted the collar to the freezer with some liquid nails. Gonna let it sit overnight and finish it up tomorrow. Finally finished the brewpi case and got the socket mounted.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435197010.138342.jpg

I knew I'd find a use for these weights someday :)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435197070.736769.jpg

Lid and keg stuff tomorrow hopefully!! I also figured out what I'm going to do for the bar siding. I really wanted to get some mosaic tile on it but didn't want to spend that much. Also wanted to do some rustic planks but can't seem to find them in stock locally. I decided I'll put some laminate floor on it. Should come out really nice but we'll see. It's also the cheapest/easiest option. Cheers!

Yeah I was thinking about that but it's really about how I'm going to get it home. It would also require a bit of work to get the wood how I want it. I'm going to be spending more time on the bar top I think then the siding.

Got the thermowell hole drilled and grommet installed for the bucket.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435463481.684571.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435463492.822703.jpg
Also got the shank hole drilled.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435463651.434329.jpg
I got too small of a shank so waiting on the replacement. Also need to get the CO2 tank filled. Will do that Monday.
The bar is going to have four areas for storage. Got the front of that framed out. Letting the glue dry and will secure it more after. I'll be just roughly framing the keezer into the bar as I go.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435463697.138035.jpg
Also purchased the laminate for the siding. Found a 10% off coupon as well as a $25 gift card I had lying around. So spent $30 on it. Very happy about that :-D

Gotta start brewing soon!!

Any updates, Clubfed? This looks pretty sweet. I'm considering trying to DIY a kegerator or keezer sometime in the near future, and this is a pretty interesting project you've got going.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! I've been a bit busy with other projects. Actually setup a 1080p 3d projector in the room. Benq w1070. I got some of the interior siding on the bar but not much to update yet. Hoping to work on it tomorrow!

Sorry for no updates guys! I haven't given up on the project but I'm going a different route with the brewing. I'm hoping to just focus on the bar build. I got a car now so should go good but need to put it on hold for awhile while I get a little money back in the bank :) Promise to have some updates soon!

Latest posts

Back