Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreybandel

Reaction score
My father wanted to build a bar in his walk-out basement. I said if we are going to do it we are going to do it right.

A couple of necessities I have outlined:

1. 60-70 inch flat screen.
2. Through the back bar wall a six tap set up.
3. Seating for at least 5.
4. Able to see TV from Pool table.
5. Shuffle board.
6. Concrete countertops.
7. Cherry cabinetry.
8. Concrete stained floors.
9. Led lighting under bar counter.
10. Two tiered bar.

Here is the start of demolition. We took that load bearing wall out and installed 21 foot laminated beams. I'll post some more pictures later showing it removed. This is going to be a huge project.

20150220_170103.jpg

Another requirement I failed to mention is to be able smoke a cigar while sitting at the bar. We ordered two 8" vortex fans to exhaust smoke outside.

Cigar exhaust fans plumbed in with two 8 inch Vortex fans (720 cfm). Not sure if this will work or not.

20150423_100552[1].jpg

Did you have to fill in any cracks in the floor before staining? We are looking at doing a semi-transparent concrete stain in our basement but there are a few narrow cracks we'd need to fill first.

Are you going to polish the countertops? What aggregate did you use? Sorry if already explained in the thread. I am behind.

There are plenty of different brands of micro-toppings. We used one from Sherwin Williams called H&C.

I have been on vacation the last couple of months. It is time to go to work full force now. Here is a picture of the bar with the new cherry panel installed.

20150730_182837[1].jpg

Here is the keezer with the collar installed and the "cold box" that will house 6 Perlick taps that will appear on the wall of the back bar.

20150730_182920[1].jpg

20150730_182925[1].jpg

Here is where we installed the 8 inch exhaust fans so we can smoke stogies. It is still unknown if it will work but rest assured I will try.

20150730_182940[1].jpg

I love those countertops man. how difficult was that to do?

Not that hard. I've done quite a few where I cast them upside down in my shop and then install them like you would granite. This is the first time I did a cast in place and it turned out as good as the pros.

Not that hard. I've done quite a few where I cast them upside down in my shop and then install them like you would granite. This is the first time I did a cast in place and it turned out as good as the pros.

They completely look professional. I've seen people do it.. but they end up with square edges and don't look nearly as nice. I'm going to have to figure this out for my bar build.

I am struggling to find a beer drip tray that will work. We want a countertop stainless tray that drains to the left. We do not have room to center the drain hole because the beverage cooler comes up to just under the bottom of the countertop. 28" or 30" wide would be nice. Anyone know a source?

I am struggling to find a beer drip tray that will work. We want a countertop stainless tray that drains to the left. We do not have room to center the drain hole because the beverage cooler comes up to just under the bottom of the countertop. 28" or 30" wide would be nice. Anyone know a source?

American Coffee Urn Mfg. (acubarequipment "dot" com) has a 5" x 30" surface mount drip tray (WITHOUT DRAIN) for $54.11 (plus shipping) on their website (they also have a 28" version)... If you could find someone to weld on a threaded bung, you could put the drain anywhere you want...

American Coffee Urn Mfg. (acubarequipment "dot" com) has a 5" x 30" surface mount drip tray (WITHOUT DRAIN) for $54.11 (plus shipping) on their website (they also have a 28" version)... If you could find someone to weld on a threaded bung, you could put the drain anywhere you want...

I received a quote ($126.00) from them for a 28" left hand drain. Have you seen any of their products in person?

No, I've only seem them on-line... Maybe you might want to purchase a small one with no drain to see the quality first hand....

Back