Banjo burner users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
SWMBO got me a banjo burner for Christmas (awesome). I am using it for the first time today, and I'm having a hard time getting the burner really going.

When I really crank the gas up, the little blue flames just go out. I've tried adjusting the air intake, but it turns the flame orange. Am I doing something wrong? It took me 20 minutes to heat 3.5 gallons up to 137 degrees. Not so good.

did the burner come with a regulator, if not what regulator are you using? is it a propane burner or a natural gas one? my banjo burner will bring 7.5 gallons to a full boil in about 12-15 minutes using a 10psi propane regulator and boiling in a keggle.

The two things to check are to make sure you have the correct orifice (to connect to the burner) for the gas you are using, LP or NG. And, the second is to make sure you have a high-pressure regulator - most of the standard grill regulators are low-pressure...

I've got the KAB6, instructions say the limits on the regulator valve should be from closed to 1/2 turn, are you going beyond that?

I do 13 gallons with no problem. When you light it, start with the reg valve completely closed. THen open tank valve slowly all the way. Then open reg valve just a bit so you can light it. Adjust air control till it turns yellow then back the other way just until the yellow flame disappears. Now you can adjust the reg valve by opening it further. No more than half a turn should be all you need.

If you adjust air valve with too much air coming in, you wont be able to open the reg valve much before it shuts itself off. Also make sure you have a more than half full tank, especially on a cold day.

Do you have a good wind screen? When I was doing mine in my driveway, I didn't have any type of a wind screen and it was PITA to keep it lit and it didn't even seem like a windy day. When I moved into my garage, it worked like a champ.

wow, I use a 10psi regulator, get great performance and fast boils. to maintain a good boil my post regulator valve is only open 1/8 turn. maybe my reg is mislabeled or something. but I can open my reg valve wide open without issues, just huge blue flames

for what its worth, after searching, I just read the difference in a high pressure regulator and low pressure regulator is the source pressure, not the output pressure. high pressure regulators are measured in psi, low pressure regulators are measures in inches of water column. so all of our propane bottle regulators are deemed high pressure, the 10psi or 30psi or 60psi is the output pressure available for the burner. at too high a pressure the burner can blow out the flame or burn too rich causing loss of BTU

Sounds like you might have tripped the excess flow restrictor in the tank adapter. Close the burner valve and slowly open the tank valve, then open the burner valve and light off the burner. As stated before close the burner airshutter until tips of flame turn yellow and slowly open shutter until just the very tip of the flame is yellow.

Should the air control plate lay completely flush against big metal post thing (BMPT). Mine doesn't...there is about 3mm between the air control plate and the BMPT. I am only getting about 2 batches per tank, where everyone says I should be getting 4. I am assuming it is my air/gas mixture.

Should the air control plate lay completely flush against big metal post thing (BMPT). Mine doesn't...there is about 3mm between the air control plate and the BMPT. I am only getting about 2 batches per tank, where everyone says I should be getting 4. I am assuming it is my air/gas mixture.

It should lay flush, the spring goes on the outside of the plate. I only get 2 batches if I am lucky.

It should lay flush, the spring goes on the outside of the plate. I only get 2 batches if I am lucky.

What is the BTU of your burner? or do you have more than one burner going while brewing? I get 4-5 5 gallon batches per tank, or 3-4 10 gallon batches with my burner depending on outside temps

What is the BTU of your burner? or do you have more than one burner going while brewing? I get 4-5 5 gallon batches per tank, or 3-4 10 gallon batches with my burner depending on outside temps

Not sure, but it is a KAB6, there site says it kicks out a minimum 210,000 btus

Yeah. I have the Bayou Classic Banjo Burner...it claims 210,000 BTUs.

I have 3 of these burners and a 0-60 regulator. My reg is set at 15 and they all 3 work great at this setting.

Back