Bands you should like, but don't.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a local radio station that has "beatle's for breakfast" on the weekend. I didn't realize how bad most of their stuff was until I got stuck listening to it for 2 hours one morning. After a couple big hits not much there.

... my wife bought some Beatles "greatest hits"-type collection, and while I can appreciate the craftsmanship, and some of the songs are good... there just reall isn't THAT much that I really love.

It's not the right way to think about music, but I always think about bands as being opposed to each other. Like, if I'm a fan of one, I'm NOT a fan of another group that's somehow related to or similar to the. I grew up listening to Aerosmith, therefore I've never been a big fan of the Rolling Stones (even though I know the Stones preceded them by a good amount). I grew up a huge fan of The Who, which in my mind means that I grew up NOT a fan of the Beatles.... and still, thirty years on, even though I know bands aren't competing with each other I listen to The Who all the time and don't really care for much of the Beatles.

The Who just ****ing rocks out; the Beatles.... bunch of pussies.

Oh yes!! The Who!!! Very imaginative, but a slave to Townsends big ideas and projects. Not a big fan of the who, but i know i should be.

BTW, In the UK at the time, the fights were beatles/stones, and Who/Kinks

I was pro Beatles and Kinks. :)

See, I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the Beatles or the Stones, and never really listened enough to the Kinks to form too much of an opinion. Always though of Aerosmith/Stones because Aerosmith was always being compared (usually unfavorably) to the Stones (99% of the comparison being based on the lead singer's lips).

EDIT: If you're making me pick, ****ing Stones over Beatles all day. Have a real dislike for Paul McCartney.

I really should like the original Genesis lineup. I love Peter Gabriel, especially his pre-So lineup. I love Genesis. I like Mike and the Mechanics. I like Phil solo. I even sort of like Calling All Stations. I prefer Peter Gabirel's singing and songwriting to Phil Collins' singing and songwriting. But is Gabriel-led Genesis a super group to me? Not really. Instead I get two songs I sorta like on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and a big stinking pile of meh.

I really should like the original Genesis lineup. I love Peter Gabriel, especially his pre-So lineup. I love Genesis. I like Mike and the Mechanics. I like Phil solo. I even sort of like Calling All Stations. I prefer Peter Gabirel's singing and songwriting to Phil Collins' singing and songwriting. But is Gabriel-led Genesis a super group to me? Not really. Instead I get two songs I sorta like on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and a big stinking pile of meh.

Will you "Friend" me so that I can unfriend you? ;)

I didn't include Aerosmith because of their early stuff.

And I don't think we should include any bands formed or who became popular 90s or later. They ALL suck and don't warrant consideration.

And I like Boston, but I can' listen to more than like 1/2 hour of them.

I also love me some cheesy classic rock. I would rock out (semi-ironically) to KISS, if Gene Simmons weren't such a complete, absolute, 100%, total, unabashed *****enozzle. Should be a band that I crank up when they're on VH1 or when they come on the radio on a roadtrip, but my personal disgust for Simmons overrides everything.

I also love me some cheesy classic rock. I would rock out (semi-ironically) to KISS, if Gene Simmons weren't such a complete, absolute, 100%, total, unabashed *****enozzle. Should be a band that I crank up when they're on VH1 or when they come on the radio on a roadtrip, but my personal disgust for Simmons overrides everything.

See guys? The Bird gets the point of the thread!! You GOTTA say why you SHOULD like them.......But don't! :)

Oh now I get it...then going back...I listen to a lot of jammy stuff, and every god damn hippy seems to like the DMB, or Wide Spread Panic...and I hate them both...and my other post about Jimmy Buffet was soley because I hate Buffet....

Oh!! Talking of hippies. Neil Young! Lots of thoughtful lyrics put to good music......Whiney cringing apologist moron. I can listen to a couple of songs, but man, he gets depressing.

For me, it's Rush, hands down. Another one I'll toss out - Def Leppard. I should like them b/c they are all about my age, they play AC/DC-style pounding, simplistic music, but they come off as week. And the screaming-in-harmony vocals are awful. BTO could pull of the screaming-in-harmony vocals. Not DL. As soon as I hear them on the radio, I turn the station.

For me, it's Rush, hands down. Another one I'll toss out - Def Leppard. I should like them b/c they are all about my age, they play AC/DC-style pounding, simplistic music, but they come off as week. And the screaming-in-harmony vocals are awful. BTO could pull of the screaming-in-harmony vocals. Not DL. As soon as I hear them on the radio, I turn the station.

definitely on the def crap list. I don't care how many arms the drummer has.

Judas Priest. I am a big fan of late 80's early 90's metal...grew up on it...but never got Judas Priest...I know they are more early 80's metal, but man they suck...Sabbath is the reason for metal and too many people give Judas Priest WAY TOO MUCH credit for the laying the foundation of metal:rockin:

Metallica has sucked since right around the Black Album. I even kinda like that album (more than most people), but absolutely nothing since.

Kill 'Em All forgives *some* of their later sins, though. Still, "Metallica-Post-Black" <<<<<<<<<<< "Who Sans Keith Moon."

Was putting on some Metallica videos at work a while back, just background music. Put on a recent video of them doing, think it was Fade to Black. Love that song - *love* it.

Well, since Hetfield now fancies himself a singer, it basically sounded like someone doing a karayoke version. A *bad* Karayoke version.

I *should* still love Metallica, but Lars has his head so far up his ass... and he and Hetfield have forgotten every single ****ing thing that made their music sound real and honest...

Does this qualify?

I like touring jam bands. Bunch of guys I know traveled with Phish. I never "understood" why they liked Phish. I liked their really mainstream stuff but thought most of their stuff was crap. I disliked them so much that I always passed on the opportunity to go to shows with my friends; and I couldn't understand why they were wasting their time.

Then I got free tickets to their show 8/11/09 at Toyota Park in Chicago. It was absolutely amazing. The energy in that place was like nothing I have ever seen. The lighting was amazing, and the band was on point. Best show I have been to in my life and I have seen some heavy hitters.

Funny thing - I still don't like the music. I would however go to a show right now without hesitation.

Aerosmith - Pink has to be THE worst song ever written! Then they actually decided to record it.

Wow. Never heard that song before - it does suck. Kind of like Metallica - don't really like much of anything they've done in years (last album I felt compelled to own was Pump, I think).

But - this is kind of amazing. The video for "Pink".... pause it at 3:34.

It's the ONLY FEMALE NIPPLE ON YOUTUBE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coldplay - I have an online pal who once described them as the "supermarket chicken tikka masala of contemporary music".

The Doors - I could listen to Love (Arthur Lee) 7 days a week but The Doors just never sat right with my ears.

U2 - "Boy" is actually not a bad album, but at some point within the last 20 years, Bono lined up that rig and jumped the shark tank, never looking back.

Nobody sucks more than Bob Dylan..

You, Good Sir, are a farking puddinghead knownothing. But under it all I'm sure you are a good person. You just don't know sheet about good music.

Springsteen sounds like a cat with its balls caught in a garden gate to me. In fact, all of those 1970's era Jersey bands sound like that to me. Last week SWMBO (a Jersey girl) and I were driving along and an add comes on for a Southside Johhny and the Asbury Jukes concert. And she say's "Lets get tickets and go." And I had the true pleasure of saying, "That's the night we're going to see Phil Lesh and Bobby Weir."

PTN

The Monkees-

I know that they were the voice of the youth in the '60s ..
But wow they had nothing to say.
I will go as far a stating that they are the reason that recreational drug use is still illegal in the United States

Thank you Monkees

Warning ears may bleed from the screeching non testicle having male vocals

Last edited by a moderator:
You, Good Sir, are a farking puddinghead knownothing. But under it all I'm sure you are a good person. You just don't know sheet about good music.
Actually, that's kind of the point of the thread.

I know I'm SUPPOSED to like Dylan, too. I dislike most songs he's written, and I absolutely despise when he's the one performing them. I saw him live this year - by far the worst live show I've ever seen. I had extremely low expectations and he failed miserably to meet them.

I also have a hard time listening to the Rolling Stones, despite the fact that much of my music collection is from the same time period and genre.

ZZ Top is another one of those that I SHOULD like. They were fun (awesome, even) to watch in concert, but I usually change the station when they hit the radio.

I know I'm SUPPOSED to like Dylan, too. I dislike most songs he's written, and I absolutely despise when he's the one performing them.

I think he's best when someone else is doing the singing... For instance, the Dylan-Cash sessions had the potential to be amazing, but alas bob ruined it with his incessant whiney voice.

RUSH

I love the lyrics, guitar, drums, everything, but like LGI said, the vocals are like nails on a chalkboard.

Another one that I don't get, and definitely wouldn't consider it "one that I SHOULD love" is Taylor Swift. I don't get it. That girl cannot sing, and sounds absolutely horrible on every live performance I've heard on TV. (swmbo has CMT on every saturday morning) I'd rather hear my dogs howl at the moon.

Alice in Chains; everybody seems to like them, I cannot stand them.

Pretty much all rap, hip hop, pop, r&b

Actually, that's kind of the point of the thread.

I know I'm SUPPOSED to like Dylan, too. I dislike most songs he's written, and I absolutely despise when he's the one performing them. I saw him live this year - by far the worst live show I've ever seen. I had extremely low expectations and he failed miserably to meet them.

I'll just be the contrarian then. I really like Dylan, although I'll be the first to admit that his voice is sub-optimal.

PTN

Back