Bamboo flooring countertops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing our basement with a wet bar and through wall taps. I've considered nearly every countertop option out there but many are much more expensive than im hoping for.

Current idea: Bamboo laminate floor used as a countertop over plywood. Anyone see any issues with this or recommendations to do this right. ?

Bamboo is very moisture resistant, hard, looks good, and very inexpensive in plank form

I just put bamboo plank flooring from Lumber Liquidators. It looks awesome and its quite durable. I think it would be a great choice for a bar-top. I'd still seal it though, as any spills will seep down the space btwn the planks.

K

If you can afford $10/sq ft, look into tavertine. With a good install and sealant, it's a pretty good bang for your buck

Revvy said:
Sounds cool. Can't think of any issues really as long as you seal it. Post pics when you've got it done.

Yup, get a nice seal....we had them for floors, and if water gets in long enough, they're done...there's also solid bamboo that is more durable and still pretty cheap.

Why not just do a plywood countertop? Depending on size I think you could build something pretty cool for cheap.

I made a playwood top then glued 1' x 1' marble tiles to it then grouted it. Looks aweome and very durable. I think I posted pics on here somewhere?

Just dont skimp out on buying the cheaper bamboo. Cheap bamboo gets cut down and made into flooring before it gets a chance to age and harden. This is known as "Soft" bamboo. When the whole bamboo flooring craze came into play a lot of companies made a crappy product by using young soft bamboo. I know its just a countertop but figured I would give my 2 cents.

laminates have a tendency to de-laminate when exposed to consistant amounts of moisture..as somebody stated above...solid product should be less of a problem.

I made my keezer top out of carbonized tiger stripe bamboo. I love it. Very durable. I used the bamboo hardwood, not the laminate tho.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-version-keezer-219768/

Need to update that thread with some new pics.

Also have bamboo in the entry way of my house it has held up very well and it gets beat to hell, wet shoes etc. and it isn't sealed per manufacturer specs to allow for expansion and contraction.

Bamboo comes two basic forms, the strand woven variety that people call "solid" is more moisture resistant since they take bamboo, chemically digest it, and take the strands and embed it in resin. The resin makes it very dense and hard (but not water proof). The other kind that you see more often is thin pieces of bamboo glued together. These are generally cheaper and softer. The issue with these glued floorings is that if moisture got in them, the glued planks will split apart (usually through the entire thickness). This would be impossible to fix and must either be replaced or the gap filled.

Ultimately, I would be hesitant to rely on the coatings that come with wood flooring to allow it to stand up to bar use. I would use materials traditionally used in bathrooms. There are certainly bartops made out of wood but they have heavy duty sealers that make them impervious to water. If you are going to go that route, it doesn't matter what material you choose to use.

I just put bamboo flooring in my living room and dining room. Thats a great idea. I'd like to see that when its done.

i put a wet bar in a few years ago, with through the wall taps, and did tile. it looks (ed) great, installed nice around my drip tray inset, and i picked up some cool art tiles from the moravian tileworks, etc. I guess i should be sealing the grout and tile more often, because my grout has started cracking and looks poopier now- and i wish i would have done something else like maybe bamboo or a solid travertine or soapstone- something solid that would not be destroyed by moisture. I didn't really realize how much water i splash when i clean up after racking, bottling, kegging, squirting down my tray and taps... Having a smaller sink doesn't help matters either. I thought the ikea tops looked nice the last time i was there and am thinking about ripping mine out. Whatever you do, pretend you are making a boat.

Taps.jpg

Wow. Thanks for all the input guys. Im leaning towards the ikea beech wood countertops. I can get those for a couple hundred dollars. Any recommendation for a good sealer?

Since were talking bars, the contractor put up my bar half wall today. In the far back corner is a kegerator closet. Beer taps will come out of the wall. Cant wait until this is done!

image-1037387758.jpg

image-1961262362.jpg

Layne used Cypress flooring for the counter top in his Brewpub.

bartopbuilt.jpg

Then he stained it and covered it with an clear epoxy to seal it.

0da5364b.jpg

You should read through his thread. It is in the Project Locator stickie.

Sorry, Layne. I hope I didn't step on your toes. Your bar is just so beautiful!

Wow. Thanks for all the input guys. Im leaning towards the ikea beech wood countertops. I can get those for a couple hundred dollars. Any recommendation for a good sealer?

IKEA sells a can of linseed oil that is just about the perfect amount to get your countertop good and treated before using it. You apply the stuff several times, waiting for it to get absorbed into the wood each time, and eventually you end up with a very nice looking water resistant countertop.

Latest posts

Back