bam bier clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am attempting my first wild beer. I made a bam bier clone from the recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-jolly-pumpkin-bam-biere-177963/

and I made a starter for the wild culture from a 1.013 gravity wort collected from the end of the mash. I pitched the dregs from a bottle of bam bier and I plan on letting my beer do its thing for ten days with the Belgium yeast I pitched in primary. Then after ten days pitch me bam bier culture in. How does this plan sound so far. Any tips or pointers would be great I am excited about this beer I have a whole keg set aside to ferment and serve the bam bier clone out of.

oh yeah, I am fermenting primary at about 70F, and when I pitch my starter in secondary I was thinking of dropping the temp down to 64 ish for several months.

Listening to the cybi episode will provide you with a lot of good info. If you haven't made a starter yet, don't. Just pitch the dregs. This would be an excellent beer to bottle as it will change a lot at cellar temps over time, but once keg is chilled to serving temp, it will stop nearly all biological activity. Bam isn't aged long at the brewery. Maybe its fermented in foudres now, but it used to be fermented in stainless and then transferred to barrels for two weeks before bottling. I would think the brief time in barrels more to inoculate the beer then for flavor development.

just curious but why did you say don't make a starter

Beacuse Jolly Pumpkin beers have lactic bacteria and I think it's best not to aerate mixed cultures containing bacteria. I also think that when bugs and critters are used in secondary, lower cell counts create more well rounded flavors.

Ok I made a starter 5 days ago should i put it in the fridge to slow things down?

I have no idea. Lot's of people make starters from bottle dregs containing bacteria and are happy with their beer, so don't worry if you've already made a starter.

Back