Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA_Mouse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a Chocolate Vanilla Porter tomorrow. I have a 2lt starter going of WLP007 (on a stir plate). Expected SG/OG of 1.078, estimated FG of 1.020 for an ABV of 7.7%. Since this yeast finishes very quickly should I over pitch because of the SG/OG or pitch an exact amount? This is the first time I've brewed with a SG/OG higher than 1.065 (that one I over pitched a Belgian yeast because I wanted more clove and less banana), so this is new territory for me. BeerSmith suggests a 1.33lt starter.

Second question would be category. Since I'm "dry Hopping" with vanilla beans and cacao nibs and using molasses in the boil (actually adding it at flameout), would this actually be considered a category 21A Spice/Herb/Vegetable beer?

Second question would be category. Since I'm "dry Hopping" with vanilla beans and cacao nibs and using molasses in the boil (actually adding it at flameout), would this actually be considered a category 21A Spice/Herb/Vegetable beer?

Technically, yes, but the final taste of the beer should guide your decision. If the vanilla is very apparent, then it would not be a true Baltic Porter from a style guideline perspective. If the flavor is less apparent, you my be able to get by in the Porter category.

Technically, yes, but the final taste of the beer should guide your decision. If the vanilla is very apparent, then it would not be a true Baltic Porter from a style guideline perspective. If the flavor is less apparent, you my be able to get by in the Porter category.

Since I'm marinating Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans in Vanilla Vodka, it would be considered a Spice Beer. Confirmed this with a judge from a competition held last weekend.

I don't disagree. I just wanted to mention the caveat that if you don't taste those flavors, it may pass for a Baltic Porter and wouldn't do well in the specialty category. It's hard to say without knowing your recipe and tasting the beer.

As for your starter, I'd go by the recommendation of yeastcalc or mrmalty. If you pitch at the proper rate and control the other fermentation variables, there's no reason to over pitch just for attenuation.

Dont over pitch, it is better to under pitch than over pitch but if you can pitch the right amount of cells you should.

Normally I wouldn't over pitch because of possible off flavors. But with such a high gravity, I needed to make sure that there were enough cells. I pitched the 2lt (BeerSmith suggested 1.33lt). It was going within 4 hours and had a blow off starting within an hour of that... It was still going strong this morning when I checked.

Back