Ball locking vs. Pin locking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't kegged before but plan on getting into it pretty soon and from what I've read in this month's "Brew Your Own" magazine (which is pretty focused on kegging I should add) is that either style is fine. They basically created two different types because they used to be for holding soda syrup and the competition didn't want to have the kegs to be interchangable. The ball locking style is more popular but are becoming harder to find from what the article said. The pin style is easier to figure out which line is in and which is out because one side will have one less pin than the other. I'm sure people who actually keg will chime up soon with better opinions than a someone who never has.

I have both. Because they were cheap. To get interchangeable heads cost me under 10 bucks per keg, so I can run 4 pin locks OR 4 ball locks OR a combo of each. I think the major factor in this is what kind of kegs you can get, getting the heads are easy.

I have ball lock because that seemed the norm and I will stick with them so I don't have to worry about switching connectors. Pin locks also are a bit taller on the connectors. And the kegs are slightly wider as well to the point where if you have a fridge that you can fit 2 ball locks into snugly, you won't fit t pin locks.

Thanks, this will be my first attempt at kegging. Just doing all my research. Now I am trying to find a local place that has a co2 exchange.

It really doesn't matter - Both hold and serve beer.

To consider:
What can you get your hands on? If you can't get ball lock, pin lock is the way to go!
If you can get either, look at price, or how you feel today..
Ball locks are taller, and skinnier then pin-lock
Pin lock is shorter, and fatter than ball lock
Both of these can impact how many you can fit in your cooler-of-choice

The rest is immaterial

Thanks,

I just picked up 16 pin lock rebuilt kegs.

During the winter, I am going to carb using priming sugar. During the peak BBQ months, I am going to try co2 to carb.

I usually have about 8-10 different batches made at a time.

NO MORE BOTTLE!!!!:ban:

We need to have a sticky on this subject. I comes up a lot.

As everyone has said pin locks are fine. That is what I have. Having said that, I believe that ball locks have two small advantages. They have a pressure relief valve that is handy and it is a little easier to remove the ball lock posts. You can use a normal socket on them, vs a modified socket for pin locks.

On that last subject, you can make your own pin lock socket by cutting grooves in a regular socket with a grinder. I picked up a deep socket for a buck at a pawn shop and did just that.

We need to have a sticky on this subject. I comes up a lot.

On that last subject, you can make your own pin lock socket by cutting grooves in a regular socket with a grinder. I picked up a deep socket for a buck at a pawn shop and did just that.

+1 on the sticky and also +1 on the socket.

I almost ordered a pin lock socket (at 25 bucks!) but had a spare spark plug socket around and took a dremel to it. 15 minutes of dremel work instead of $25? Yes please!

I'm just getting started in kegging and went with pin lock because I found a great deal on them.

open ended wrenches work fine as well getting the posts off the pinlocks...no need for that "special" socket or making one if you already have wrenches.

I'll second Jmac00's sentiment. I have 3 pin lock kegs and have been just fine using a crescent wrench pull the posts off for cleaning. My issue with the pin lock kegs I have is the lack of pressure relief valves on the lid. I do like that they are typically shorter than the ball lock kegs for my keezer. 3 of the pin lock variety fits quite comfortably with limited empty space. The shortness means that my regulators aren't bumping into them as much.

I do wish that they had the pressure release valve that the ball locks have, so in lieu of that, I've gotten by with just depressing the pressure lock on the gas-in post. I'm still on my first kegging, so I haven't experienced having beer shoot back up at me yet. I am doing a set-and-forget on my stout at 10psi, my first kegged brew.

I'll second Jmac00's sentiment. I have 3 pin lock kegs and have been just fine using a crescent wrench pull the posts off for cleaning. My issue with the pin lock kegs I have is the lack of pressure relief valves on the lid. I do like that they are typically shorter than the ball lock kegs for my keezer. 3 of the pin lock variety fits quite comfortably with limited empty space. The shortness means that my regulators aren't bumping into them as much.

I do wish that they had the pressure release valve that the ball locks have, so in lieu of that, I've gotten by with just depressing the pressure lock on the gas-in post. I'm still on my first kegging, so I haven't experienced having beer shoot back up at me yet. I am doing a set-and-forget on my stout at 10psi, my first kegged brew.

Try one of these:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pin-lock-depressurizer-plastic.html

Latest posts

Back