Ball Lock Connection Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonecold_OM

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I seem to be having some issues with changing connections on my corny kegs...both gas and liquid. When I first got the kegs, I had no issues changing lines out on the kegs. Now it seems as I'm trying to force the ball lock connection on. Mainly on the liquid side, but also it does happen on the gas side. A lot of times I can't even get it on. I can't tell if its the connection on the keg or just a cheap ball lock connection that has gone bad. Has anyone else come across this?

If they get forced on the wrong post they can get damaged, I think. It's not unusual for some to eventually get tough to remove. Even decent quality brands like CMB. If a good clean, a little keg lube and new post seal don't help, I'd replace the faulty ones. Nothing worse than a stuck disconnect. Just when you need to disconnect them, they refuse to budge.

If they get forced on the wrong post they can get damaged, I think. It's not unusual for some to eventually get tough to remove. Even decent quality brands like CMB. If a good clean, a little keg lube and new post seal don't help, I'd replace the faulty ones. Nothing worse than a stuck disconnect. Just when you need to disconnect them, they refuse to budge.

Definitely didn't put on the wrong post, but I'm wondering if a little keg lube may help. I haven't used any since I've been kegging the last 6 months. I guess just put a little on the o-ring on the post?

Yeah, just a tiny amount around the o-ring mainly and side wall of the post. Then try a fresh o-ring if lube doesn't seem to help much. Disassemble the disconnect and soak the pieces in cleaning solution, too.

Yeah, just a tiny amount around the o-ring mainly and side wall of the post. Then try a fresh o-ring if lube doesn't seem to help much. Disassemble the disconnect and soak the pieces in cleaning solution, too.

Thank you for the help! I will try that.

+1 on cleaning your quick disconnects as well. Stuff can dry up and accumulate beneath the ball bearings and prevent them from retracting and rolling. I soak them in a dilute sanitizer solution overnight every few uses. If you have the quick disconnect type, they are easy to clean in batch.

I would also suggest changing out the o-rings on the posts. I do it about twice a year on all eight of my usable kegs, and every time I do the quick connects go on easier. O-ring kits are super cheap. They can get pretty beat up if you're switching connects a lot.

The times that I find it difficult to connect QDs to a post is when the post o-ring needs to be replaced or the QD is frozen.

Anybody got a source for good quality ball locks? I've gone through 4 cheapies in just a couple months. They fell apart. I think I simply ordered the cheapest ones I could find on eBay, and of course they were junk

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I seem to be having some issues with changing connections on my corny kegs...both gas and liquid. When I first got the kegs, I had no issues changing lines out on the kegs. Now it seems as I'm trying to force the ball lock connection on. Mainly on the liquid side, but also it does happen on the gas side. A lot of times I can't even get it on. I can't tell if its the connection on the keg or just a cheap ball lock connection that has gone bad. Has anyone else come across this?
Get some food safe lube🥱

Anybody got a source for good quality ball locks? I've gone through 4 cheapies in just a couple months. They fell apart. I think I simply ordered the cheapest ones I could find on eBay, and of course they were junk

Stick with legit CMB connectors at the best price you can find and you won't be disappointed.
I'd start with Ritebrew.com. $4 per QD...

Cheers!

Back