Balancing Tartness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkUsBrew

Reaction score
I just tried a sample from my fourth batch, which has only been in the bottle 5 days, and I really like the taste so far. It’s a Belgian Strong Golden Ale, made with the following recipe:

Fermentables
7lb. Muntons Extra Light DME
1lb. Belgian Candy Sugar

Hops
Bittering 1 oz Styrian Goldings; 3/4 oz Fuggles
Flavoring 1/2 oz Styrian; 1/2 oz Saaz
Aroma 1/2 oz Styrian; 1/2 oz Saaz

Yeast
Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale

Although it tastes pretty good so far, and I expect it will get better with more carbonation and age, it does taste a bit more tart than I would like. I think that’s probably the result of the particular yeast strain.

Any suggestions for balancing the tartness in a future batch?

MarkUsBrew said:
Any suggestions for balancing the tartness in a future batch?

Add a few cups of patience to each batch. All young beer tastes pretty rough. Give it a month or so.

If you want it to be more like a Belgian Strong, next time you brew it try adding one more pound of both the extract and the sugar. Oh and plan on waiting about 6 months after bottling if you want the best flavor.

Mikey said:
Add a few cups of patience to each batch. All young beer tastes pretty rough. Give it a month or so.

I agree that age will definitely improve the taste, its just that my first three batches did not have this particular "issue". Maybe the tartness will mellow, but I was thinking of brewing this recipe again next week and hoped that adding something (e.g., paradise seed, etc.) may increase the odds of a better result.

Back