Baking / cooking with your homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
The second homebrew I ever made, a chocolate coconut stout, about a month ago didn't attenuate very well at all. It finished at 1.042 with an ABV of around 5.5%. It's extremely sweet and not really something I look forward to sitting down drinking. The chocolate and coconut flavors come through pretty well at least.

I was trying to think of something I could do with them aside from having to drink them and baking came to mind. I was thinking some sort of bread or cookies would be good with the beer. I've made some beer bread with store bought beer before and that's always decent. I'd like to try something different though.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/experience cooking or baking with some of your homebrews?

FYI, Dark Lord is a great beer to use as a substitute for soy sauce on Asian food.

I've used some of my stouts in crock pot stews.

Beer battered fish is always a good way to use up about 12 ounces. I bet that your incredibly sweet stout would be really good in a batter!

My wife uses beer and bourbon in several recipes. Most recently, she made chicken taco soup. We have had this several times with a variety of beers, usually commercial craft beer. This last time she used my homebrew oatmeal stout (based off of Yooper's oatmeal stout) and it was fantastic!

Maybe not the perfect use for a sweet beer, but I regularly make pizza dough and pretzels with my beer.

Stews and stouts go hand in hand and I also frequently use my brews in braising.

Whenever I brew a batch and have reached pre-boil volume from the mash tun I'll let the tun drain into a growler or gallon pot until I finish the brewday. The wort is stored in 1qt Zip-Lock bags and frozen, then added a water in soups or any dish that needs water. It adds a little something extra to whatever's being cooked. Kyle

whenever we cook brats, i like to simmer them in the frying pan with some stout, or porter. Tastes awesome, and it condenses down to a tooth paste consistansy, great to spoon over the brat after its on the bun

I found Pub Cakes on my last visit to Cost Plus. Think cake mix that uses beer and butter instead of oil and water. I haven't made a batch yet because I'm still a week out from bottle-conditioning a porter.

I made a batch of a stout crossed with cider a few years back. I've held onto it, not great.

Amazing heated up with mulling spices though.

I'll second the recommendations for chilli. Also try making bread with 100% beer and no water.

I usually plan something for the crockpot on bottling day. Whatever is left in the bottling bucket goes into the crock.
Also, anytime I'm doing a roast or chili, I pull a 1/2 pint or so off tap and add to it.

Back