Bag squeezing and adjusting grain absorption ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
How are you guys adjusting from the normal gran absorption ratios if you squeeze or drain for prolonged periods of time?

I measure the volume of water in and the wort collected. Correct the wort volume for the temperature expansion (about 2.5% at 154F) and the difference is the amount of wort left with the grain. Divide this my the weight of grain to get a factor of volume per unit weight of grain.

I find I get .125 gal/lb absorption on my regular mash tun and .08 to .09 gal per lb with BIAB depending on how hard/long I squeeze. Sounds like some guys go as low as .05-.06 but I'm not that strong or that patient.
:mug:

I find that if I squeeze my bag gently over prolonged periods of time, I get maximum extraction....

How are you guys adjusting from the normal gran absorption ratios if you squeeze or drain for prolonged periods of time?

Change 0.125 gal/lb to something else, like 0.08 or 0.04 even for some people depending on their setup. I stick to 0.08 and always end up within .1 gallons of my targeted final volume.

I don't squeeze, nor do I do any sort of sparge. My process is simple, I brew in a bag. Using my wilser bag and hoist I simply raise the bag out of my wort, and let it gravity drain as I bring my wort to a boil. I don't crush too fine, but I have started mashing for 75 minutes. That gets me to about 75% eff....so I'm happy with that. No need for a flour mash or sparge.

I squeeze and squeeze, etc. I use the SimpleBIABCalculater (and have used the Priceless one as well), and that "corrects" for squeezers.

I have used .08 for my last couple batches. It has been pretty darn close.

I don't squeeze, nor do I do any sort of sparge. My process is simple, I brew in a bag. Using my wilser bag and hoist I simply raise the bag out of my wort, and let it gravity drain as I bring my wort to a boil. I don't crush too fine, but I have started mashing for 75 minutes. That gets me to about 75% eff....so I'm happy with that. No need for a flour mash or sparge.

A lot of the points that OzzyBrew brings up are the reason why I do BIAB. I do it to reduce steps, reduce time, and reduce worry.

When the mash is done, I pull the bag and let it drip into the kettle while I come up to a boil. I try not to fiddle with it. My wort volume is what I collected. I compare that to what I expected.

If I routinely guess low, then I'll adjust my calculations to make my guesses more accurate... I'd rather do that than keep burning my hands or introducing new equipment/variables to get that last bit of wort out.

When the mash is done, I pull the bag and let it drip into the kettle while I come up to a boil. I try not to fiddle with it. My wort volume is what I collected. I compare that to what I expected.

If I routinely guess low, then I'll adjust my calculations to make my guesses more accurate... I'd rather do that than keep burning my hands or introducing new equipment/variables to get that last bit of wort out.

This is my plan. Want to quote this so I remember and can find it easily. :)

Latest posts

Back