Bad to use a steel co2 tank inside kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
Just got back from my LHBS. During a casual conversation it came up that I use a steel co2 tank (2.5lb) inside my kegerator. The shopowner said that causes leaks, something about the contraction rates of steel versus the brass fittings. Has anybody heard anything like this before? I can't use a tank outside the kegerator in my installation. Do I really have to buy an AL one?

I'd just swap it out but I just had it filled and I don't think most places will exchange a 2.5lb one...

I call BS on that one. Sounds like somebody has some al tanks he wants to sell.

And Aluminum/ brass doesn't ? BS!!!! Yes the coeffecient of thermal expansion is different for different metals but that goes for any different metals not just brass and steel. Every oxygen/acetylene setup you ever will see is metal with brass fittings. I work in the gulf of Mexico and we have some pretty good swings in temparature and never have any problems. Of course any fittings are subject to leak and should be checked on a regular basis.

I just got back from the place I usually get my tanks filled...well they got bought out by another welding supply company and all they do now is swap. I was fine with that but the guy said all they have is steel. He said that he does not know if it is true but some people say they can taste the steel in their beer. I guess I will find out and report back.

You will not taste steel in your beer from a CO2 tank. Steel CO2 tank owner with tank in the kegerator here.

i think you'll be ok.

though honestly I dont get why people insist on putting their tanks inside their kegerators. that takes up valuable real estate for beer!

I cant fit a 3rd corny in my mini-fridge (stupid compressor hump :mad:), but I can fit the regulator in the deadspace between the 2 kegs.

I didn't think you would be able to and I had never heard that. The guy that told me stated he didn't know how true that was and that it was F-15 pilots that told him that.....so I damn sure won't take their word considering I have worked on that jet for 16 years and know how full of sh*% they are lol.

The standards for maintaining a war plane are drastically different than those regarding a kegerator CO2 tank. While there may be some scientific merit somewhere in this I don't think it's worth being concerned about.

I didn't think you would be able to and I had never heard that. The guy that told me stated he didn't know how true that was and that it was F-15 pilots that told him that.....so I damn sure won't take their word considering I have worked on that jet for 16 years and know how full of sh*% they are lol.

Well, I'm not an F-15 pilot but I am an F-15 WSO. I've never tasted steel in the O2, but that because in the F-15 you breathe out of the MSOGS, not out of a steel canister. So I'd question the truthfulness of whoever told him that. But you're right that they're full of ****, so that is quite likely where the problem lies.

Aluminum and brass have different contraction rates, but nobody seems to have any trouble with them in the kegerator. I've never tasted aluminum in my beer or steel in my jet, so I doubt you'll have any trouble with steel in your beer.

Latest posts

Back