Bad news...good news

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaAl(e)

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's how it all went down.

I've been getting a buddy of mine into brewing. Yesterday I took the ingredients for a Boston Lager clone to show him the process and let him get his hands dirty to suck him in. All went well with the brew/instuction session and before you know it, it's 1am and time to head home. He doesn't have a lagering chest so I strapped the carboy into the passenger seat (safety first) and headed home. Not all the roads in Anchorage are what you would call "lighted" so I kept it about five under the limit (50).

Apparently I should have been going even slower than that. When I came around the last curve before my turnoff I see nothing but antlers. I know a bunch of you guys here are from TX and have yourself, or know someone who has hit a deer on the highway but nothing compares to nailing a full-grown bull moose at 50MPH.

The Dodge is totaled, I've had a 14hr headache, and the moose was pretty well mangled. I've never been in a traffic accident or ran over anything bigger than an armadillo in my 12 yrs of driving but I certainly made up for lost time with this one.

I guess you can say there are two bright points in this whole affair--the homeless of Anchorage get moose steaks for the next couple of days, and the beer came out unscathed. The cop looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if I could grab my beer before he took me home. After I explained to him that I was a homebrewer and all that he just laughed and sent a deputy to grab it. On the ride home I gave him a short lesson on brewing and we'll be doing a batch in a couple of weeks. So basically there's one less moose in the world and one more potential homebrewer.

AlaskaAl(e) said:
So here's how it all went down.

I've been getting a buddy of mine into brewing. Yesterday I took the ingredients for a Boston Lager clone to show him the process and let him get his hands dirty to suck him in. All went well with the brew/instuction session and before you know it, it's 1am and time to head home. He doesn't have a lagering chest so I strapped the carboy into the passenger seat (safety first) and headed home. Not all the roads in Anchorage are what you would call "lighted" so I kept it about five under the limit (50).

Apparently I should have been going even slower than that. When I came around the last curve before my turnoff I see nothing but antlers. I know a bunch of you guys here are from TX and have yourself, or know someone who has hit a deer on the highway but nothing compares to nailing a full-grown bull moose at 50MPH.

The Dodge is totaled, I've had a 14hr headache, and the moose was pretty well mangled. I've never been in a traffic accident or ran over anything bigger than an armadillo in my 12 yrs of driving but I certainly made up for lost time with this one.

I guess you can say there are two bright points in this whole affair--the homeless of Anchorage get moose steaks for the next couple of days, and the beer came out unscathed. The cop looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if I could grab my beer before he took me home. After I explained to him that I was a homebrewer and all that he just laughed and sent a deputy to grab it. On the ride home I gave him a short lesson on brewing and we'll be doing a batch in a couple of weeks. So basically there's one less moose in the world and one more potential homebrewer.

Wow. Some story!
I hope I don't see your misfortune in the Air Force sig events e-mail we get every day!

The good thing is the Dodge can be repaired. The beer and the human life can't. :) Glad you and the beer made it through.

ORRELSE said:
Wow. Some story!
I hope I don't see your misfortune in the Air Force sig events e-mail we get every day!

I don't think so. I didn't miss any work or anything and I didn't run into any media so no one will probably even know.

Glad to hear your ok. The next question is, what are you going to call the homebrew? Bull Moose Brew, Broken Antler Lager? The possibilities are endless.

Holy moly! Glad to hear you're OK. I hate to hear of a trashed Dodge. I'm assuming it was a Ram? :( Coulda been bad news if you were driving anything smaller.

For the name, my vote is "Dead Bullwinkle Lager". :D

2nd Street Brewery said:
Glad to hear your ok. The next question is, what are you going to call the homebrew? Bull Moose Brew, Broken Antler Lager? The possibilities are endless.

I like Broken Antler Lager.

Or make a rip off label of Rogue and call the beer Dead Moose Lager.

AlaskaAl(e),
a guy i used to ride w/ lived in Alaska during the summers (called him Chicken Joe, but not sure why?). he hit a moose on his H-D Ultra late one night. he was in bad shape for a while. he's up and riding and doing well (assuming he is, haven't seen him since i sold my ride). Chicken Joe stays in TX full time now. Armadillos and racoons do less damage to a 900 lb. H-D!
glad your okay and damn good story!

Wow, glad you're alright! That's what I call sacrificing for your hobby! Another name idea: Moose Juice Ale.

Thanks for the well-wishes all, they're all appreciated.

DeRoux's Brews--There's an article I read not too far back about a fella that managed to hit a brown bear while scootin' around on his sled. Chicken Joe was lucky, at least you don't have to worry about pissing off the moose and have him try to take chunks out of you while you lay there.

Sam--Yes, it WAS an '01 Ram 1500. It's a bit unfortunate too because I just put a new stereo and speakers in it as a reward to myself for having paid it off early and no longer having car payments! I'll be heading down to the Dallas area this Sep anyway to visit the in-laws, I guess I'll be going to the dealership while I'm there. '05 Ram and new payments, here I come!

As for the name--My wife named it right after the shock of my arriving home with a police ecort. Remember those old films they used to show in school? In a few months I'll be enjoying "Red Asphalt Lager". I'll be calling PETA for endorsement possibilities next week. :D

Back