Bad commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPat

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a really bad commercial beer? I don't mean poorly crafted, but infected, off tasting or otherwise unfit for consumption.

I once had a terrible Sam Adams Summer Ale that tasted like cheese and rotten fruit. Clearly infected. It was part of an otherwise impeccable 6 pack.

A few weeks ago I was at a restaurant and ordered a bottle of Anchor Liberty Ale(one of my all time favorites). On the first sip I knew something was wrong. I looked at the code on the back- manufactured in January 2007. No wonder:mad:

I got a McEwan's Scotch Ale once that was soured like a XXX triple bock, apparently it was just the odd one. Had a beer @ a German McDonald's once that was salty, really salty. Had a Bud light once <shudders at the memory> it took a while to get over that one. Regards, GF.

I bought a variety pack of Magic Hat while at the beach a few weeks ago. Never tried them before.

All but their IPA tasted like cardboard. I guess the additional hops in the IPA saved it. I drank a few, but only because I was too lazy to go back to the store to buy something different.

I love me some Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, but three weeks ago, Stillwater Tap Room tapped a new keg while I was there - it was horrible. Not oxidation, certainly infection. Rough stuff. bitter and odd flavor like sucking on an aspirin, not pleasant.

Ohhhhh nooooooooo. Just got a growler fill of the 16th and it was prime. But yeah it was seriously hazy, could see where people could hate a bit.

Did a thread about Stone's 14th Anniversary IPA last year that, according to Mitch Steele, was only due to protein haze. Check the picture there-it was literally sitting like Jell-o in the glass.

Meh, I had a super tasty bottle of Houblon Chouffe that was way uglier (hop bits, mostly).

I have had bad luck with Japanese microbrews. Ise Kadoya Stout with wild yeast, Hitachino Nest White with lacto.

21A Back in Black was pretty bad. Swampy, fishy bacterial bad.

Oskar Blues Gubna that was a total onion bomb, likely from warm storage (or Summit's just like that?).

Lots of lacto from many smaller brewpubs' taps.

Latest posts

Back