Bad brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgable

Reaction score
Well it just happened to me, My worst brew day to date . Was starting to make my oatmeal stout (wich took a bronze medal in a local home brew contest),first time outside.Tweeked my recipie and everything was going great. mashed in the grain hit my temp right on (Wich I missed the last time)then when I turned to walk away the mash tun fell off the hot tub step I was using as a stand for the mlt.Landed all over my shoe and the deck what a mess. I am so bummed !! But I do have ingrediants for an English northern brown on hand . So I think I will have a few homebrews regroup and start over. I wont let this ruin my brew day but I was really looking forward to the oatmeal stout as I just drank the last one.

Update: Bad day got worse! when making my second batch everything was going good, measured out grain ,heated water to mash in temp, but and as soon as I added the water to the grain It didn't look right. oops! I forgot to run the grain through my grain mill. I quickly drained the mlt but grains are soaked and soft. I am wondering if I let them dry out and brew another day if it will be ok? I dont know if I should blame this on my lack of all grain experiance or the fact that I had 3 more home brews ( to dwown my dissapointment on the spilt grain) on top of the 3 I had while brewing my first attempt. Oh well I will be back to brew another day

Back