Bad Brew Day...Burned my hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
Was brewing, what was going to be a delicious pale ale, when a boil over occurred at my 1st hop addition. Stupid me grabbed the handles of the pot and the wort boiled over onto my right hand causing 2nd degree burns. My step daughter stepped in and cleaned up the mess while my wife brought me to the ER( wasn't sure how bad the burn was). I wasn't sure if the batch was worth saving, and the fact I was pissed and in pain, so I threw the batch away. I have a pair of rotisserie gloves available. But I will be using them in the future in case a boil over ever happens again.

You need to have a water/starsan bottle with you, Every brew will boil over, you just need to contain it.

Never had one boil over before this.... what i usually do, is stir the boiling wort before I dump the hops in, but this one just went over in like a split second. gonna buy some kettle defoamer.

I like hitting the hot break (when you see the "egg noodle soup" appearance to your wort) before adding hops, major boilover avoider. Also, the spray bottle works great.

Why I love my electric system. Just turn the knob down and she settles down instantly

Yea, I decided to try to move my kettle during a boil over last time I brewed. As it would turn out, metal conducts heat. Was a lesson learned. At least i'm not alone. :mug:

I have to be quick on the heat control knob and spray bottle to keep from boiling over. I don't like to try to pick up 7 gal of boiling liquid.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brew on an electric stove and adjustments to heat don't react quickly like with gas, so I have to pay close attention to the boiling point and move the 7.5 gallon pot off of the burner manually, usually with 7 gallons of wort! Only takes 3-4 times and it settles into a great boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back