Bad bottling day from a keg question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if someone had similar experience. I brewed white stout,force carbed and was ready to bottle it using beer gun, not a fancy one just one from eBay. During the bottling process beer was foaming crazy.Yes I had 3 meters beer line and my keg was ice cold, I sanitize the bottles and cool them down. Anyway I could bottle whole keg but most of the bottles was half filled. The question is if there any chance to enjoy the beer will it hold at least little of CO2 let say for few months.Or is going to be a waste. Did anyone had similar experience. What to expect? Thank you for your time.

How big was your line?

From what you write, I would say it is either too thick line, too warm bottles or too high preassure in the keg.

Yeah I think co2 in a keg wasn’t settled down, I force carbed the beer before bottling.

I would recommend going to a counter pressure filler, made a world of difference. Balancing lines and temp on beer guns was nearly impossible for me to get the hang of.

I've never used a beer gun, but whenever I've filled bottles or growlers from a keg, I've found that the key to reduce foaming is to vent the headspace completely. Then set it to about 4 PSI and you should be good to go. With the low pressure, most of the CO2 won't be ripped out of solution.

Thank you guys for recommendations , I will be definitely more careful next time.For now I will just leave the beer alone for few weeks and will post back.I think the beer actually was over carbonated, but it might save me.Its a imperial white stout so 1.5-2.0 carbonation it’s enough.Those bottles I capped on high foam hopping to enjoy beer anyway.
Thanx.

Back